Worth to replace battery?

Hi there,
So my FP2 it’s around 3.5 years old. The battery is not lasting more than several hours at most.
My question is: is it worth to replace the battery?
I know it’s not the same but I recently replaced the bottom module as the mic is not working and it only worked for a week. I don’t want this to happen again.
Also, is a reset recommened in this case? Or any other action?
Thank you so much, have a good day :slight_smile:

You can install the app AccuBattery from the play store, it will give you a good estimate of the health and capacity of your battery. Or BatteryBotPro from F-Droid can also estimate the health of your battery, though it won’t be the same precision.
But seeing your battery’s age and how long it lasts, I think it’s pretty clear.

3 Likes

Thanks, Alex. I will try that.
And will start having a look at a new battery, too.
Thanks again!

1 Like

BTW, you know any new module you buy from the Fairphone shop is covered by a 2 year warranty - except batteries (1 year), right?

3 Likes

Antoine, thank you so much! I didn’t know that
I bought from another FP2 user :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you buy it new?
Otherwise it will have had a life before you got it.
Not, that the other user (maybe selling the own phone for pieces to achieve a higer “price”) might have been aware of it; but it can have already been damaged.
I really feel for you, but in that case, it’s clerly no indicator for distrust in the phone.

The battery is still available online from the Fairphone shop for 15 Euro; so a replace is absolutely worth it.
Just a few hours is not standard; that’s for sure.
Should the battery be 3.5 years old as well, it has really done a good work and might be worn out. Testing it, like @Alex.A advised, surely is a good thing to do.

3 Likes

Hi BertG,
Thanks for answering.
I will investigate further with that user.
I don’t distrust the phone, I was only asking for similar experiences with replacing batteries :slight_smile:
I like my FP2 and would like to have it as long as possible.

About the AccuBattery test, from the design capacity of 2420 mAh, it shows 1574 mAh of estimated capacity and health of 65%.
Thanks again,
Marta

Let it turn for a week at least to get a good and exploitable estimate.
Then, apart if you are a power user, a few hours battery life, even at 65% capacity, isn’t much.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depending on where you live there might be #fairphoneangels in your area. They sometimes organize #groupbuy’s to save the shipping costs.

4 Likes

You are all really amazing, thank you so much :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, a new FP2 Battery from the FP shop costs 10 €, from elsewhere probably cheaper. I would definitely invest 10 € for a prolongation of life of a FP2! I think the FP2 can be used still one or two years.

Cheers!

2 Likes

They’ve slightly raised the price back to 15€… And don’t forget the expensive shipping costs if you buy on your own. But it’s still worth it, to refresh a smartphone, way cheaper and more sustainable than buying a whole new smartphone…

2 Likes

Prices vary for two countries:
Norway: 12€
Switzerland: 13.90€

1 Like

To compensate for higher shipping fees or import taxes?

I guess, that it will be the taxes, as both countries are non EU, but I can not claim to be in the knowing. (Especially regarding the tax-laws of those countries or the regulations they have with the EU).

1 Like

Thanks all.
I’ve found another customer from Spain that was selling one and bought it from her.
Have a lovely weekend!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.