Wishlist for the FP2

This discussion might interest you:

2 Likes

If the new Fairphone comes with Android, I would like it to come with preinstalled privacy-enhancing apps like Textsecure, Redphone and Tinfoil for Facebook.

I have another suggestion which is not directly related to Hardware + Software but to they way the message about the Fairphone is brought to the people. I suggest creating an ambassador programme for the Fairphone. This would work like this:

• Basic version: On starting the Fairphone the first time, you can register as an ambassador for the Fairphone. On the Fairphone website there would be then the option: I would like to meet someone who already has the Fairphone, so that I can see it and hold it in my hand personally. The system then would look, if there is some nearby and relay a message requesting a meetup. The ambassador can choose to say yes, no and even can configure how often he/she like to be contacted my the system in general or the next weeks.
  • Extended version: Fairphone could train regional ambassadors who then could present Fairphone and their ideas to local groups and organisations on request.
    The German cooperative Faimondo (bulding up a fair alternative to Ebay/Amazon) has an ambassador programme like described in ā€œextended versionā€ and I believe it is very positive. I am myself an ambassador of Fairmondo, you can contact me, if you like to know more.
3 Likes

Well, we have the Fairphoners Address Book, which is not much effort and could basically do the same as the extended version, you suggest. :wink:

I would actually like the Fairphone to come preinstalled with as little Apps as possible because preinstalled - system - apps canā€™t easily be uninstalled/updated.

About your Ambassador Programm. I think itā€™s a great idea and I believe we can make it happen as a community effort organized through the forum.

3 Likes

Another reason why we should look into maps. :wink:

I would like better location services as I use tracking and the compass a lot. The compass in particular is problematic as it drifts quite a bit. The other huge thing would be a more open chipset which would ensure maintainability and the possibility for other OSs.

2 Likes

Well, instead of a concrete keyboard addon maybe it would be better to say:

How would be a backside universal connector providing the possibility to attach a keyboard like for the Jolla Fone?

There could be so much more possibilities for other attachments:

• e-ink display

• solar charger

• additional emergency battery

1 Like

Actually the best IMO would be the same connector as Jolla because then the architecture would be easily adaptable.

1 Like

@saljut7 Great Idea!

@Stefan What do you think: Should this be a Wiki ā€œpostā€ so everybody can edit? I would still encourage discussion here in the comments, but maybe that is a better solution?

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s a good point, Stefan - not perfect, but a good workaround for now.

@danielsjohan - also a good point, but Iā€™m so fussy with headphones, and love my Soundmagics :wink:

1 Like

I support very much the possibility to attach an external microphone. If possible even with optical S/PDIF functionality, than it would make a good home audio HiFi centre and field recorder!!!

• never heard of this addressbook before
  • your link lands to something apparently dedicated to Austria

Where can I register, not being Austrian?

The link goes exactly to the page I wanted it to go to. The problem is just that apparently there are not any communities of Fairphoners in other countries yet. If you want to be a contact person for France, just enter your user name and the other options proposed in the template. :wink: (Itā€™s a wiki post).

PS: I pinned that topic to make it more visible and I also improved the information and added a template for new local communities.

My wishes are all about reliability, stability, and the quality of connectivity and audio.

• The connectivity WIFI receiver/sender should be stronger.
  • The connectivity of the mobile network receiver/sender should be stronger
  • The back cover should be attached much more reliably than on FP1, and when it falls down it shouldnā€™t be damaged too easily. (I donā€™t want to use an external cover; I feel the smartphones built-in protection should be enough for daily use, including occasionally dropping the phone involuntarily ā€¦)
  • The audio quality of the speaker, especially when making phone calls, should be improved.

so overall, Iā€™m not looking for huge steps in performance (like speed or so), but for higher quality of essential features of a smart PHONE and pocket computer ā€¦

p.s.: sorry if I canā€™t call all technical terms correctly. If you donā€™t understand what I mean, please ask

2 Likes

I think wireless charging is not useful at all.
For the FP2, the thing that really matters is not to repeat the problems of the first iteration :

• Android updates for at least 3 years
  • A well-working chipset (GPS problemsā€¦)
    Ameliorations come after:
  • 2GB of RAM
  • NFC
  • USB type C
  • Better camera
  • Water resistance (or at least micro-coating)
  • Front facing stereo speakers (I donā€™t think itā€™d be more expensive to have the second speaker on the front instead of the back)

Design : I would love a wooden back cover, and that seems great to show in a simple way that this phone is more world-friendly than the others.

1 Like

I agree on the physical button(s) too. I love my iPod shuffle for the same reason - fumbling around with my phone to turn on the screen, pause the podcast/music is such a faff compared to a quick physical click.

Oh, this just occurred to me yesterday, and Iā€™m surprised I forgot about it before (apologies if this has been mentioned; I donā€™t recall seeing it mentioned in this thread)ā€¦

Audio Profiles!

I would like to see more flexibility of audio profiles for different functions, and a better ability for the FP to store the settings. For exampleā€¦

I like to use ā€œMeetingā€ setting, i.e. vibrate only, no ringtones. But if I use the volume button for the camera shutter, that affects the overall audio profile, so Iā€™m not in Meeting mode any more. Itā€™s the same if I use a music appā€¦ my volume setting then changes the overall Meeting setting.

Basically, I think it should be possible to lock the overall phone audio profile, and then set separate levels/profiles for audio/video apps.

1 Like

OT: In Gravity Boxā€™s Media Settting you can activate the ā€œExpanded Volume Controlsā€, which lets you set the different audio levels independently.

1 Like

What I find a problem with cell phones, is that the screen is difficult to read, in particular in light circumstances, hence outdoors.
Such a problem is absent with e-ink e-readers.
Hence I thought that it would be nice if the normal screen can be switched into an e-ink version. Black on white letters is perfect for emails and more.
If it is technically not possible to switch one screen into another mode, then it may be a possibillity to have the e-ink screen on one side, and the standard screen on the other side. Yes, it will be heavier, and yes, it will be thicker.