Will Sailfish OS be officially supported on the FP2?

Though there is no official DB app on Sailfish, there’s the Fahrplan app which can support DB’s server as timetable backend.

(Though, unlike the various official railway apps, Farhplan offers only timetables - hence the name - and no in-app ticket purchase)

1 Like

I know there are alternative apps for getting the timetable. But that is not the point. There are alternative apps for Android too, such as Transportr.

The GP complained that he could not recommend google-free Android as you don’t get the official DB app then. You don’t get it on Sailfish either as there is none.

If you have a google-free phone you can get apps from the play store via the yalp store app (available in f-droid).
But you need google account.

you are right. The jolla store and warehouse are much smaller then the thousands of non official Android stores. But this doesn’t matter. This is also not the main decision for me to avoid Android (as you can read above).

But with a google free version you have the same problem with apps as you have, if you live without windows but you want to play windows games. It works (most time with wine), but there is a lot of information you have to get from the internet to get a game to run.

I’m not willing to declare non technical people how they get things running if it did not goes out of the box.

And it is so easy. Go to google and search ‘android app stores’, install the store app and - what now?
Searching for an app you need and install it? I did not think anyone should do it this way.
You need a lot of knowledge to see what app is ‘good’ and what app send your phone and email contacts to someone … and the risk to get fake apps is much higher on Android as on SailfishOS (and also much higher as on iOS).

But as i wrote above this is not the main reason for me to avoid Android.

if DB = Deutsche Bahn, than there is a wonderull Sailfish Ap called Fahrplan. For Deutsche Bank you need to use Android App or mobile Web page.

Is it?
I really liked what I saw when testing SF, but unfortunately I couldn’t figure out how to encrypt my data on SF, which is why I moved back to FPOS before I went on a couple of business trips. Since I use my phone also for work purposes, data encryption is a must have for me.
I was really missing an easy way on how to encrypt my data. I think Android makes this quite easy and straight forward. Hope SF will implement such a feature as well.

2 Likes

I was reading the Jolla Blog post about Critical Communications World 2017 just now, and I noticed a Jolla employee Juhani Lassila stating in a comment on May 22, 2017 at 9:50 am that “…official Fairphone support is currently on their desk (pls push this in their channels!)” So we, the community, have to remain active and keep wanting an official SailfishOS port from Fairphone, and it just might happen! If the community port is already as awesome as it is, how solid the official port would be? I want to know! :persevere: :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Hello,
i wrote to the fairphone support about this statemaent. Here the answer:

Hi Gabriel,

I wasn’t informed yet about this statement.

For the moment we still don’t provide this kind of support, as we have already some other big priorities, but I will forward the communication internally, maybe it will move something :slight_smile:

Greetings from Amsterdam,

Fairphone Customer Support,

feel free to write in English, Italian or Spanish

So lets hope something is moving :wink:

3 Likes

They have now released Sailfish support for Sony Xperia X, where you pay a small fee to get a fully supported version of Sailfish OS on the Xperia. The same style of support would be perfect for the Fairphone, we pay a small fee and get a fully supported official version of Jolla Sailfish OS on the Fairphone! Since there already exists a community created Sailfish version for the Fairphone, it seems to me that it should be possible to get the Fairphone supported even easier than the Sony Xperia X (the Xperia X is a 64-bit platform, and Sailfish had to be adapted to 64-bits for it to work).

Would it be possible for Fairphone to at least send Jolla an email, letting them know that there is a lot of interest for Sailfish here on the Fairphone forums?

10 Likes

I do believe the sailors at Jolla already know that Fairphone 2 is (most likely) one of the most wanted devices. After all, it already has near-perfect hardware support!

I couldn’t wait any longer, and bought a Sony Xperia X. I can tell it is very solid in terms of finished functionality, but some major hiccups remain, for example Bluetooth (audio) issues and the fingerprint sensor not yet being active.

Oh how I wish I could revive my old FP2 for SailfishOS 3…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.