Will Sailfish OS be officially supported on the FP2?

Please be aware that currently it’s not possible to buy any Sailfish OS powered device in Europe. That’s why many SFOS users try to import Intex Aqua Fish (the only commercially available device at all) from India which is the pure opposite of the Fairphone idea (rather cheap and poor hardware, and no chance to repair at all).

Many of them (including me!) would LOVE to spend good money for a Fairphone with full Sailfish support (including Alien Dalvik and Exchange ActiveSynch). Remember that the Jolla phone hardware (released in 2013) is showing its age and needs to be replaced very soon, so you are missing a great opportunity while not offering a hardware upgrade to Sailfish users! I can only suggest to hurry up, because that opportunity will not come back!

11 Likes

very true!
with russian company soon to release its first device this opportunity is soon to become missed =(

2 Likes

I think I’m not the only one here around hoping that at least crowdfunding will be considered.
I suspect that there are many interested potential SFOS-on-FP2 users and that could at least pay some part of the development.

It might not be enough, but if at least this could be increasing the chance of such a port turning up.

3 Likes

As I understand the current situation, the community port seems to be good enough, at least useable. Development costs should be insignificant, remember that developing FP Open costs money, too.

What’s still missing (and what’s preventing me from buying Fairphone) are Exchange ActiveSync and Alien Dalvik, both commercial third-party components that are available on Jolla phone. Jolla payed license fees for these to be allowed to include them in Sailfish OS, the same would be necessary for Fairphone. I would happily pay the Fairphone price + license fees even if the current community port of Sailfish is still somewhat buggy. I will not buy Fairphone unless I am sure Sailfish OS with commercial components is supported.

9 Likes

More or less the same here, I would happily throw money at a Fairphone + closed source component license + whatever is needed to finish polishing SailfishOS and guarantee future updates.

The only hesitation I have regarding buying a FP2 is whether I would be able to have SFOS in the future.

3 Likes

Don’t forget that there is also documentation, support, legal issues, updates and commercial parts to this project. New docs need to be written, support staff needs to be trained, contracts with Jolla need to be made, EULAs have to be updated, future support needs to be sustainable (we cant release and then let it be) and then there is the question: how are we going to sell it?

Will we need to change the shop and allow people to choose which OS they want when they buy? Will people be able to download it? How do they pay for it then?

Also setting up a crowdfunding campaign (which we internally discussed) is not a walk in the park, but requires combined team efforts, planning and a lot of time.

I am still not able to say if Fairphone can do this or not. But I do want people to realize here that for a company Fairphones size, it is not easy to start supporting a completely new OS. I can say many want it to happen, here at Fairphone, but we have to pick our battles and set priorities.

19 Likes

Thank you for your honest answer and the detailed information. I can imagine that offering Sailfish OS on Fairphone is a very complex challange.

But if I understand correctly, none of the tasks you mentioned has actually been started since announcing the Jolla / Fairphone collaboration back in February (!). For us customers this means that a supported version of Sailfish OS on Fairphone hardware will most likely not happen, at least not anytime soon.

It seems to replace our Jolla phones from 2013 we are forced to buy cheap Intex hardware from India and smuggle it into EU countries, without warranty, spare parts, or repair service. And all that under the impression that Jolla’s Sailfish OS and Fairphone hardware would be the ideal match technically, and a successful business opportunity for both companies. So sad!

8 Likes

The solution may be as jolla sell access to the app store for the closed source compenant.
I don’t know if anyone suggested this to jolla?

2 Likes

Yes, Jolla could sell the alien dalvik to fairphone customers and registered customers, who paid for aliend dalvik and / or other commercial components like Exchange Activesync or XT9 could install it from Jolla Store.

1 Like

Hi, I created a topic to suggest to Jolla selling accesses paying in his commercial components. If you want upvote or Develop the idea.
https://together.jolla.com/question/151176/option-to-paid-for-commercial-components/

2 Likes

Nice idea.

Just for your information (in case you haven’t yet seen it), but there is also a thread about how to make SF OS commercially available:

1 Like

Just so that everyone knows, I have like an automatic order system, which immediately orders the FP2, the moment Alien Dalvik support is announced, no matter what price.

PS: to be honest with everyone, its only half-automatic :wink:

7 Likes

Hi Douwe!
I think, the best solution for the first will be to sell the commercial parts for the FP2-Users without support.
So will be the licence costs covered and you will give the customers that - what they want.

I’m pretty sure, people who want Alien Dalvik on their Sailfish-FP2s (incl. me) don’t need all that things what you mention:
They don’t need support, documentation, and all the other stuff.
Updates: yes, that would be nice, but i think for the Alien Dalvik part its not so critical.
On my Jolla Phone the Alien Dalvik package was updated 2 times (from 2013) without any significant changes.

Give us only this one compiled rpm.package !
Nothing more, nothing less!
Take our money!
Sell much more Fairphones!

But let something happen…

We have a great Phone (FP2)
We have a great OS (Sailfish 2.0)
We have a great Port (Thanks mal-!)
But we don’t have one of the important part of this great OS!

Its like a full puzzle and only one part is missing.

Please Fairphone, do something!
Do something small, we don’t need Microsoft Support, we don’t need 1000 pages documentation, we need only this damn part, which is there on the cheap Intex Phone but is not there on your gr8 FP!

Why the hell?!

14 Likes

Fairphone can’t release anything commercially without documentation and support because, I guess, people have a right to have these things in the EU… :stuck_out_tongue:

However, I wonder how different can documentation and support be from other phones? I mean Intex has to provide support for their phone too. Maybe a joint venture wirh Intex is possible where resources are shared in return of a much smaller investment on behalf of Fairphone/Jolla.

3 Likes

Intex has released Aqua Fish for the Indian Market.
I think, they have no documentation at all. :slight_smile:
They have other rules there, than we in EU. They can sell anything without support.
They have no official retail channels.
They sell the Intex Aqua Fish over ebay.
They have no official support.
Nobody would answer you, if you write an email to support@intex.in :slight_smile:

Well, Jolla / Fairphone can sell the Alien Dalvik as an “Developer Project” which would cover only the licence and management costs.
They can offer minimal support, which is required by the EU rules.
And the user can tick an agreement, when he buy Alien Dalvik in Fairphone shop, that he/she buy an Developer Project, without full support and if he/she has questions he/she can ask them in the forum.

I WOULD OFFER FULL SUPPORT FOR ALL ALIEN DALVIK BUYERS, IF JOLLA OR FAIRPHONE WILL OFFER IT.

WE CAN SIGN AN AGREEMENT :slight_smile:

12 Likes

If that would be so easy to just let the documentation aside, it would already be done…

When you want to have the Phone sold in Germany with SF OS you need every little sh…t documented and that also translated in german (and other languages of the EU).

A missing declaration of conformity, a missing CE Certificate and a missing manual in a german language!! got my ordered Intex aqua fish back to india (together with my now lost money).

There is no chance you can get something in a european country without all the paperwork.

2 Likes

Not entirely true.
If the software is sold separately and without warranty, there should be no major problems.
For example a lot of crowdfunded projects lack all of the mentioned.
The problem starts, when you want to sell it via official channels.

Edit: Furthermore there is no need for the purchase to be governed by German law, also there is a huge difference between soft- and hardware purchases.

1 Like

Well i can confirm that. But only for Germany and only for Hardware-Products
Die Vorschriften bremsen den Fortschritt. :frowning:

Software is another story, here we (who lives in Germany) have a bit more luck :slight_smile:

But all the necessary certifications and documents for the hardware are already available. The same is true for the software! We are talking about third-party products that have to be payed for, nothing else.
I am a professional software architect dealing with exactly the same problems every day, but on a much larger scale (enterprise software), here in Germany. When nothing is available half a year after the announcement of collaboration, it seems nothing has been done at all. That’s the statement.

3 Likes

Its bitter but probably true…

Jammerschade

1 Like