Wifi with exclamation point, no internet connection

Hi, I’m not sure where to post this because I don’t know what the problem is. Over the last week or so I’ve started to see the dreaded exclamation point over the wifi connection, and getting the ‘wifi connected, no internet’ message. First it was only one wifi server, but now it’s happening everywhere (home, office, public transport), sometimes for a long time. It usually self corrects sooner or later.

Any idea what’s causing this and how to fix it? Is it an android thing or an FP2 thing? Might it have to do with using fairphone without google?

Thanks.

I see it at my phone when I am connected to a wifi network but I haven’t yet logged in on the network.
After successfully logging in on the specific network the exclamation point disappears.

Thanks Lidwien. I think this is something different. I am automatically logged in to these networks, but the exclamation point is there. Sometimes for less than a minute, sometimes for much longer.

I have the same. It comes and goes, I have no idea why or how.
Disconnecting and reconnecting to the network often helps in my case.

Definitely it’s not a Fairphone issue because I suffered this problem with my FP2 at first and then with my Xperia X both on the same network at home.
I suppose there are 2 possible causes:

1. since with FP1 and FP2 with Lollipop I didn’t have this problem with the very same setup of WiFi, I can imagine there is something in the WiFi stack starting from MM, which could lead to this wrong information;
  2. I always used AFWall and XPosed in all my phones, but I changed versions and settings, so maybe there is some system app which could need connectivity that signals such a problem (for example I have AFWall constantly logging of blocks of a “Linux Kernel” app trying to point to port 443 of an IP address which changes continuously, even though I assumed the warning could be due to DNS checking failure so I expected problems on port 53)

Anyway the alert sometimes disappears so I wasn’t able yet to find a constant case study to investigate deeper the issue.
Bye! :slight_smile:

Thank DjDas, I’m afraid from the work ‘lollipop’ onwards I have no clue what your talking about. I’m the anti-techie.

1 Like

Lollipop and MM (Marshmallow) are different versions of Android :wink: respectively 5.x and 6.x, the rest are technical assumptions on why network problems could arise based on how Internet protocols work.

Hi All!
I think I found a solution to this, but I need confirmation/testing!
The solution is based on the following assumption which I don’t know if it’s correct: there is a process (with ID 1000) which is used for getting information about the Captive Portals (the landing page you face upon connecting to free wifi networks, which asks you to register/login before getting access to the Internet) and since I use AFWall+ in white-list mode (everything blocked and only some apps authorized) this process is blocked by default.
Yesterday, thanks to this wonderful community (YEAH!!!) I read this post and I added the custom script to AFWall+ as per the link in that post and…the exclamation mark disappeared after switching off and on again the wifi!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I don’t know if the commands provided in the script (which can be also issued via adb or terminal) survive reboot but for sure putting them in AFWall+ script guarantees they will, so I kindly ask someone with AFWall+ to confirm if it works also on your phone, and to someone without AFWall+ to issue the commands, check if the exclamation mark disappear and then reboot the phone to check if the settings persist.

I don’t think my home WiFi uses such captive portals…
Since I don’t have AFWall+, I would be glad to issue the commands, but I have no idea what you’re talking about, honestly (Especially since the blogpost is in German) :slight_smile:

The captive portal check runs on each connection to see whether there is one or not. I can imagine that if you auto-login (n.b. not auto connect) to networks, the captive portal check and/or other connectivity checks may run before the login completes.

To add to the linked German article, and prepare for the upcoming Android update, see also this page:

1 Like

Nor mine, but there is a process which checks for them continuously when you enable the Wi-Fi and if it cannot reach that strange website address (1000.net) it fires up the exclamation mark on the Wi-Fi icon (I don’t know why honestly).

I have that issue with a lot of devices to be honest, not only fairphone, turned out my ISP is to blame.

1 Like

Do any of your devices has Android 5.x version or lower?
I guess this issue was created starting from version 6 of Android
Bye!