Wifi is disconnecting after 10 minutes in standby

Hi,

When I’m connected to a WiFI network, and the phone goes into standby, it loses the connection and switches to 3G. So my Jabber connection is renewed over 3G, which causes unnecessary status updates and traffic usage.

In Settings / WiFI / Advanced, “Keep WiFi in standby” is set to “Always”. It just doesn’t work… anyone else with this problem?

FP2, FP OS 1.2.8

Sorry, missed your post initially. In the other topic the OP clarifies that they’re also losing cellular connection when in standby (though to be fair, there’s probably another topic about that somewhere too). As you’re describing only issues with wifi, I’ve moved your detailed description into this topic (which is seems more relevant).

I’ve also moved @j-unique’s post here, as it sounds like the same problem.

The bug exists also in the FP Open Source OS 16.04.0.
Did someone find a workaround for this?

For me, this problem seems to be gone with FP Open Source OS 16.04.0.

I just did some tests:
1 .Start a big download (1GB) with wifi on
2. Turn screen off/ Set FP2 into standby
3. Turn on again after 30minutes

Result:
Wifi symbol was hidden after I turned the FP2 on. After ~5 seconds the FP2 reconnected to the Wifi.
Also the majority of the download was done with 4G instead of Wifi (Could be really expensive in some cases…).

I have experienced this issue a few times, but not always.

Since I use connection to my wifi at home for smart lock, disconnection is obvious as I get asked for a password then.
Running FPOSOS, I didn’t have this problem for 2 weeks. Just a couple of days ago it appeared, after putting in my pin I saw the wifi symbol reconnecting.

I don’t know why and when it disconnects, haven*t yet found a pattern. Though, while charging the phone does not disconnect wifi (that I realized).

Now, my FP2 (still with FP Open OS 16.04.0) has started disconnecting again… :frowning:

2 Likes

I got a Fairphone two weeks ago, notice that it often loses connection with the wifi. Have been following this thread with interest, have a few things to try now. Hope it gets better.

1 Like

I also have this issue for a longer time. It seamed better but since the last update it is present again. I use the SONOS app and each time I want to check/change loudness or anything after a short time the WIFI connection is lost and the app tries to reconnect. That situation is very annoying - please repair this bug.

Still reproducable using FOS 16.06.0. The “Always on”-option doesn’t seem to work, when the phone isn’t charging.

Update: I experienced a couple of times that Wifi also turns off even while charging.

I had to use my FP2 with Fritzphone-app as spare for a wireless phone and found, that the wifi-connection gets lost after 10 minutes. My Fritzbox showed this quite well. The settings/wifi/advanced is set to “Wifi is always on”. No energy-saving, frequency-band: 5GHz, distance from Fritzbox: about 2,65 Meter. My OS: FP2_gms56_1.4.2

My wife’s Wiko-phone with Lollipop stays connected on standby (setting is Wifi off on locked state).

Spielmops

1 Like

Just a little detail to add - my wifi even disconnects after some time in sleep mode if mobile data are turned off. It annoys me because messages won’t arrive at time. Also turning on mobile data and wifi at the same time seems a bit inconvenient since it just wastes battery (wifi is more battery efficient than mobile data) and makes me run out of highspeed data way sooner.

I could solve this problem - for me it works now as it should. And I did:

Wifi is on
uncheck "Wifi off in sleep mode"
switch wifi off
switch wifi on
connect with your wanted network

Still having this problem in current open OS (16.07). If I wake up my phone at home I can see the mobile data is on and wifi shows an exclamation mark. A second or so after wakeup wifi connects and my data connection turns off.
This means that all mobile data goes over my data plan even when I am at home within good reach of my home wifi. This is quite annoying as it uses up my data plan without reason.
I have “leave wifi on during standby” set to “always”, so that is not it. :frowning:

Just to confirm, I’m also still having the same issue as @spaetz on Fairphone OS 1.7.0. Also while charging. I suppose there is still no fix or workaround? I noticed it couple of months ago, but this is the second consecutive time I’ve run out of mobile data (somehow having emails checked in the background accrued 200 MB alone).

I tried what @Spielmops suggested (in various orders, including some reboots), but it didn’t change anything.

same problem here. sometimes I turn it off and it turns on again too. seems like it does what it want. seems like I can’t do anything to control it. suggestions?

I also have this problem with WiFi being disconnected. My data is off always, and Wifi is on, but I receive no notifications unless I unlock the screen. This problem started after one of the updates, I am sure. I did not have this problem from the beginning, and I am really annoyed. When I am waiting for a particular email or message, I should keep checking my mobile instead of waiting for its notification!!!

I also have this issue and find it annoying. Has this ever been acknowledged by Fairphone support?
It’s not on the list of known issues.

I also had this issue on FPOS 16.08. Now I’m on FP OS 16.09.0 and I still have to test it.

My previously posted workaround ist to disable and re-enable the WiFi after you re-entered your WiFi-covered area (=home?!) and you are done with this bug until you leave home and come back again!

1 Like