Wifi drains battery after Marshmallow Upgrade - See first post

I have a Fairphone 2. And I am experiencing something estrange with the Maps app.

I have the location deactivated, and google location services and history location as well. The google maps app is closed. (but not stopped since it insist in restart automatically in the background without asking)
After 1 day I can see that Maps appears in the first place of battery use list. with a mark of 22% (without opening it, and with location deactivated)
It seems that the app is consuming battery just trying to check if it can locate you.

I think that this is a problem related to Android more than Fairphone, but I would like to ask if more people is observing this behaviour. Does anyone have a solution (other than uninstall google maps?)

Most many other users describe a high battery consumption from wifi (:gb: here and especially :de: hier).
It could both be related though.

What happens if you deactivate the App for a day or so?

PS:

Ok, that means it is the same issue, so @Pepelisu I moved your post and the following discussion here.

A few things to get Google Maps to behave are showing up when googling this, among them clearing Maps cache and data or disabling Maps sound promising.

I just don’t see a disable option for Maps with my Fairphone Open OS + Open GApps, but I could just uninstall Maps, perhaps that’s why, I don’t know.

I can also almost visually imagine Google Maps hammering your system in the background “givemelocationgivemelocationgivemelocation…”, which would explain the battery usage, but I don’t know if it works that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had already googled exactly the same search and I found exactly that.
I disabled Google Maps (the result is a complete uninstall, do not ask me why you can not simply disable it) and now the problem is the wifi. It seems that one of the apps is trying to use location and or data all the time. I will keep an eye on the Apps that I recently install since this was not happening al the beginning, with a clean installation of android 6.0.

The funny thing is that location is deactivated for all the apps and was only allowed in the google maps app. It seems that some Apps do not take in account that location is deactivated and keep trying to access to it therefore consuming more battery.

Could this be related to other users concerned about wifi being the main battery drain?

Maybe it helps to wipe the cache, as demonstrated in a video for the Nexus 6P and 5X:

Can’t find the three dots anymore.
However I can access the parameter via
Settings > Search (the magnifying glass icon on the upper right) and seaching for “scanning”

Odd, which version of FPOS do you have, 17.05.2?
This is my result when searching for ‘scanning’

Try the Swedish word for “scanning”.

Hi,

Would not help, my phone language is in English, only the keyboard is Swedish, not evident from my screenshot I see…
It seems that my phone is still indexing the setting chapters, when I started searching for scanning, even putting only ‘s’ would not give me anything, even though a lot of the settings start with ‘S’. But now after messing around a bit I get the results “screen lock” “SIM card lock” etc. Seems the list is increasing. Which is weird, since I’ve had Marshmallow since FP released it a couple of weeks back. Maybe if I wait a while

But I found the setting under WIFI instead:
When disconnected from WIFI i had a small text in the middle of the screen beneath the text “To see available networks, turn WI-FI on” looking something like this:
“Your WIFI is disconnected. However some apps may still use it to improve location, go to Scanning to change this setting.”

Now I cannot find the setting anymore since I ticked it off… But I don’t need it anymore, so I guess the problem is solved for me =). Would be nice to be able to access that setting though…

M

1 Like

After uninstall some apps, it seems that Accuweather was responsible for the battery drain. I assume that it was trying to get my location with maps and then with wifi. Even when I did not allow this app to get my location.
Now without that app everything seems back to normal.
3-4% of battery lost overnight with flight mode on.

Hey

I update to 17.05.02 and also lost the parameter, even when seraching for it as before!

Sevan

I see, I would consider this a bug in that case, @paulakreuzer?
At least there still is a way to locate the setting if it is turned ON.
See my previous message:

1 Like

I’m no longer the gatekeeper for bug reports, there is now an official bugtracker. But as you can see in the first post this issue has already been reported there and was dismissed as an Android issue which FP can’t fix.

PS: Oh you were talking about the missing setting. Yeah that would be a separate bug. See if it hasn’t been reported yet and if not please report it.

Aha!

Ok thank you, I will check the list and see if I can add it.

M

I had the same problem with the wi-fi constantly ON even if it was turned off.

I solved by searching for WiFi scanning and deactivating it.

I put the lenguage of my phone in english to find it, because in italian it has a different name and i couldn’t find it.

The issue of the battery drain has again been reported in the bugtracker, but with different description (not about Wifi, but about CPU)
https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-fairphone-os-android-6/issue/63

Maybe someone can add it to the main post above

1 Like

If it’s indeed the same issue, just with different symptoms, it will be rejected again for the same reason or marked as a duplicate and closed. If it’s a different issue, then well, it’s a different issue.
So either way it makes no sense to mention it in the top post of this topic.

Checked out the instructions and followed them where possible. Not all of the options are available on FP2 with Android 6. Still the wifi module is the top battery drainer, even though it is generally deactivated, except for FP updates.

Thanks for the guide. I’ve had this issue too. I’ve disabled ‘Wi-Fi scanning’ as you suggested. I’ll report back tomorrow.

Indeed, it was the WiFi scanning. Now battery use seems better. I assume an app was scanning for wireless networks in the background even with WiFi turned off. Thanks again.

1 Like