Wifi amplifier antenna

Hello,

I was wondering. Does exist some antenna that could be connected to the FP3+ via usb-c that could connect to low wifi signal, when the phone is far from the emitter?

Thank you for your help,

Thomas

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

Couldn’t find one ad hoc, but wouldn’t a separate repeater be more helpful?

1 Like

Generally, I can be reasonably confident that no antenna connection of that sort exists. It would require a direct, analog connection between the wifi radio and pins on the USB port, outside of standard USB, and would likely also have RF problems. I know that these connections don’t exist on any Fairphone.

Those sorts of alternate pin uses on USB-C are possible: there are USB-C alternate modes, though all current modes are digital, and the audio adapter accessory mode, which is analog, though designed for audio (and not, as far as I know, supported by any Fairphone). I’m not aware of any RF antenna connection using a USB-C alternate connection though.

I could see, however, two different possibilities:

• Connecting an antenna to the internal antenna connection: this would require some device modification, and would not be as simple as connecting a USB device, but should be possible with the documentation available, with sufficient expertise.

• Not using the internal wifi: connecting a separate, external USB wifi adapter, with its own external antenna. This could work, though it would need OS and driver support, and I’m not sure it is there.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer!!
Actually, this is mainly an issue when I am on vacation, not at home, I would prefer a more portable solution

Thank you for your answer
I think that the simplest for me will be to use an antenna on a PC and then share its connection via tethering.
Maybe it will be more powerful
Thanks again,
Thomas

A Repeater is portable, something like a TP-Link RE450 can be used with any wall outlet.

2 Likes

Thank you for notifying it to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.