Wi-Fi calling no longer working since Android 14 update

Since the Android 14 update, Wi-Fi calling has stopped working for me. The little icon is no longer displayed, and while I still see the “WLAN Call” option in my SIM settings (congstar, Germany, LTE), and I can enable “Use Wi-Fi calling”, I can no longer find the “Calling preference” submenu where I can select whether to prefer Wi-Fi or mobile network calling. And I can’t make calls while on WiFi (Type 4) only.

Since it worked before I’m not sure if this can be related to my provider? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Can anyone else reproduce this?

Let me know if you need more details, thanks.

That seems to be the way congstar (telekom) wants it…

With O2 this extra setting is still available.

Thanks for the info! That is fine, I don’t really need this option, I was just mentioning it because I noticed that it was not there when looking at guides on how to enable WiFi calling (maybe it was never there even before the update, I can’t remember), but it should not really be relevant to my use case (using WiFi calling when I’m on Airplane mode + WiFi), which is what I’ve been using for months now when I’m at home.

Because as you would expect when living in the city center of a 600k resident city in Germany, I have terrible mobile coverage which drains my battery and makes call quality bad to the point where I can’t understand people. :upside_down_face: WiFi calling has been a great help for this!

Did you test with another wifi network? How old is the SIM card?

The SIM card is about 5 years old. Haven’t had a chance yet to test it on another WiFi, will do so in a couple of days and report back.

5 years is quite old, I would see if Congstar is willing to send a new one given the issues you face…

It is working again with the latest Fairphone 5 software update, so it was indeed something in the Android 14 update which broke it (for me).

1 Like