Why is wireless charging not included in FP4

I wonder if this post is a direct response to me, as generally I agree with your passion but there is no blame.

This is a question of ethics and human business not a moral issue, hence what you see as a problem is your problem, a problem you create.

Human ‘rights’ are priviledeges, even if people think they were given by ‘god’
They are hard fought and won assets, always at the expense of another. The other is an indivdual person used, not a company, a species or any part of the ‘god’ almighty environment.

So your arguments are fine, I would be equaly happy if all phones had wireless charging or there were no phones at all, actually maybe the latter :slight_smile:

Come on man coke was just one of the million examples I could have used… it is not the consumer’s responsibility if the cucumber is wrapped in plastic or if every store in the vicinity packs tomatoes in plastic… you will not have a choice. But the plastics industry would gaslight everyone to carry the guilt for not selecting out their non-recyclable packaging well enough.

But energy losses in wireless charging and plastic waste are 2 separate issues and should not be conflated for some cheap argument. This is what many do not understand. The plastic waste problem is mostly separate from the emissions problems and is separate from the power usage…

Singling out a phone with insignificant power use for saving the world is not only arbitrary it is also illogical as the phone benefits greatly from Qi charging(in cross platform standard connectivity, longer equipment lifecycle… can’t remember when I last bought a cable or charger,) while nobody benefits from living in F energy rated houses and blowing all that heat straight out through the cracks. We pick the tree and miss the forest.

2 Likes

I’m a consumer I chose what to buy.

Industry does no such thing but individual do, isn’t this what the authors on this forum do, blame other people to hide themselves.

Bob Marley
" While your busy pointing fingures others are judging you "

Buy in or don’t buy. Turn on ~ tune in ~ and drop out and if you are able or prepared then leave others to their indulgences. To buy a phone with wireless charging or make one without.

But back to the focus : fairtrade

but I won’t respond to further comments. if I’m not understood that’s commonand totaly expected. Good night :slight_smile:

You can grow your own vegetables. :smiley: I managed to grow tomatoes on my balcony.

Is it really necessary to integrate it directly into the phone? You can buy a Qi charging pad, connect it to the USB port, print a custom case, and voilà, you have wireless charging. Most people use a case anway.

1 Like

Just because you can grow tomatoes on your balcony(something I am also indulging in btw. because I like it) good for you but the vast majority of city dwellers buy food the way it is offered in the corner store. And no you do not have a choice(what if your balcony is in shades + it does not cover your needs let alone that of others).

The connect custom case and other non-starters are sensible on the outset but once you understand how the charging cycle is regulated you will realize that USB does not offer this low-level integration. The OS has to support it, the protocol would need to be piped through the sensors would be required… if it is efficiency we are looking for the more tightly it is integrated the better it will get and what would be required from Fairphone to support that it would be already 80% of the effort for a sub-standard solution. I am reasonable though… I would be happy if they offered the pins on the back for a QI charging back cover the way the Samsung note 4 did. That was great but in doing so the OS and the firmware of the phone had wireless charging factored in in its design. This is not that easy to patch in afterwards and also I am no longer a student I do not have time to sysadmin my phone all day… it needs to be stable and that is something that my S10e delivers in spades. It regularly reaches muti-months uptimes by the time an update will prompt it to reboot. It is remarkably stable out of the gate.

1 Like

Wireless charging is not available for FP4 and will never be.
You can make your vote for next comming model here:

maybe someone from Fairphone with the authority to make decisions will read it and your request will be granted.
For the FP4 at least:
Alea iacta est

1 Like

I didn’t…

My point was written out in the following sentences, of the same post, was it really that hard to find?

And when you mention and try to explain this issue you receive all but crap replies…

Keep it up Zoltan. :+1:

1 Like

I still can’t follow you. I cited the sentences where you said, that every customer has to buy new headphones and you still insist, that you didn’t say that.
I guess a further discussion on this doesn’t make any sense, if you don’t stand to your words.

It would be nice to have a good & polished modification (connected charging pad + something) for this. I don’t really buy the charging efficiency rationalization at all and think there’s significant advantages to wireless charging that offset it. Avoiding mechanical wear of the charging port completely is just really convenient and likely to make that component last much longer.

Transferring power wirelessly isn’t efficient at all. Multiply that with a few billion phones and it becomes a luxury we cannot effort, ecologically. It also wears out your battery faster due to the heat it generates.

2 Likes

True but I have USB ports on ten year old phones that haven’t failed, yet.

Charging daily at 4W some 1.5KW year. Modern such chargers may loose 25% to the environment, so maybe 1 Watt per charge.

Conversions are always questionable. only 25% of the energy a human uses supports the brain, so if we get rid of the body we can save a lot of veggies, and if we put consciousness on a chip even more.

So how to keep the chip ‘alive’

• tethered to cable
  • running on a rechargeable battery or
  • wireless charging straight from sunlight.

It’s pretty clear which way ‘we’ are going.

Efficiency isn’t the same as waste. Sure the energy used is energy used, it is never lost or wasted.

Right, but as I said the other side of the coin is having to replace parts that have worn out which is pretty likely to be even more resource intensive. Haven’t seen any estimates but I do find it at least possible that they could end up failing often enough for it to be the larger problem.

Have you seen the USB-C module? It can probably be made out of a few recycled cans. We’re talking about wasting energy on a large scale on a daily basis. While also wearing out chemical batteries faster. Wireless charging is a “convenience” we really cannot effort. Our global efforts are to become more sustainable, not the opposite :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When it come to consuming resources, and not about consiming the consumers time, it’s negilagble if not irrelevant.

The use of wireless charging is for convenience, exactly the same reason we have phones and cars and washing machines, none of which are very ‘efficient’

However the resource that each of us knows is how much time we spent plugging in a charger and it’s less effort laying it on a pad. Save time, which to most people is worth the extra few pence sepnt of electricity, and just maybe those few minutes will allow people to worry less, which means better health and less demand on other resources. It may even although a bit more thinking outside the box, not carrying cables everywhere, once the pads are common.

I van think of an infinte amount of ways people like the idea but few of detriment ~ just trying to think of one . . . . Oh! I require a charging pad . . . but I can get rid of multiple chargers and cables . . . so that’s not it.

So what problem will the user have . . . getting rid of all those cables and chargers, what a pain.

That’s it. having to get rid of all the junk I have puts me off buying a wireless charger so I’m happy the FP4 doesn’t have one and when I buy my FP9 with a wireless charger, guess what, I’ll be happy with that too. :slight_smile:

Oh not again… the problem never was the material cost… it was the shipping the stupid charge port to you no power saved the moment it happens…

Anyway… we have been through this… Fairphone and their people do not see reason and until such time they do we can call them failphone and buy something equally as polluting as theirs but at least nice and logical to use. I think I must unsub from this thread because we are stuck in a time loop here. Bye everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the reason why people are upset about this reality is because it means the gimmick they love suddenly isn’t that intuitive anymore.

If the billions of phones in this world would charge “wirelessly” it would add 50% more energy usage. And it would cut battery lifetimes short. So in this “timeline” we should look for ways to be more efficient. Not the opposite.

3 Likes

Well if you have gone yet.

It’s called the Fairphone as the team were the ones who not only got Fair Trade gold on the market for the first time but provide a huge increase in production line workers wages no matter which phones they produced in the factory where the Fairphone is assembled etc.

And other phones are also not equally polluting, where did you get that idea ??

But if you are off to other shores have a nice time.

1 Like

Well because I did not.

You found the words alright, but they say something else.

I don’t have to stand to words I did not say or write…

I think Incanus meant this maybe. Whereas you didn’t say ‘should’ saying ‘every single customer’ and tying it to the lack of a 3.5mm jack does imply that is what you meant.

Otherwise why say ‘every … customer’

Sure customers don’t have to buy headphones but your argument stems from the notion that Fairphone are forcing the issue upon customers by not having a jack. Clearly in that sense you are correct each any every customer that wants to use earphones will require a bluetooth or an adapter.

So you can see Incanus’s point and I can other interpretations. I think it was the tone of the argument that ‘forces’ the issue. :slight_smile:

But yes I agree that there is no other real option. Luckily I have an FP3 which will last me 10 years I hope, but I hardly use earphones so no big deal what the future has in store.

But what did you try to say?.

BTW, why do you always wait months or even half a year before digging into this discussion again?