Why is CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST not enabled in kernel?

Does FP2 not support multicast ? Does it have any H/W related limitations ?

What do you need it for? :slight_smile:
Chris

1 Like

I don’t know why people are posting here once and then disappear. @prityaa
Chris

2 Likes

Hello,

I think I know for what he would be needing it, e.g. it can be used in WiFi-Direct connections or for smartphone to multiple embedded device communication, or for any server application packed onto the Android stack, that needs this feature.

BR Erdinc

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@chrmhoffmann, this is in continuation with the following topic: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/why-is-config-ip-multicast-not-enabled-in-kernel/50855

We were trying to run CTS and were facing three failures related to CtsKernelConfigTestCases module.

kernel_config#CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST fail system/extras/tests/kernel.config/multicast_test.cpp:25: Failure
kernel_config#NOT_CONFIG_ANDROID_LOGGER fail system/extras/tests/kernel.config/logger_test.cpp:22: Failure
kernel_config#NOT_CONFIG_SYSVIPC fail system/extras/tests/kernel.config/sysvipc_test.cpp:44: Failure

Just wanted to know why we have CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST disabled in LOS 16 defconfig?
Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Well, I can add it.

Was just curious why it’s needed. It also seems that it was not enabled initially in the 3.4 series:
https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/refs/heads/deprecated/android-3.4/android/configs

While it seems to be recommended in more recent android (or kernel) versions:
https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/configs/+/refs/heads/master/android-4.14/android-base.config

https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_fairphone_msm8974/+/274535

1 Like

Thanks a lot @chrmhoffmann .
It’s working perfectly and CTS is passing.

@chrmhoffmann, there’s one more issue related to Kernel Hardening and Stackprotector Strong which is a new feature introduced in Oreo. As per Google’s recommendation I added those configs but CTS testcase related to stackprotector strong is failing.
I feel it’s not implemented.

Can you please help with this?

I am editing this post as I am not allowed to create more than 3 posts. @chrmhoffmann please look into this.

You want the complete file?
It’s not allowing me to upload the file.

In the mean time, this is the issue I was talking about;
<Test result=“fail” name=“testConfigStackProtectorStrong”
<Failure message=“java.lang.Exception”
java.lang.Exception
at android.security.cts.KernelConfigTest.getDeviceConfig(KernelConfigTest.java:84)
at android.security.cts.KernelConfigTest.setUp(KernelConfigTest.java:73)
at junit.framework.TestCase.runBare(TestCase.java:139)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.DeviceTestResult$1.protect(DeviceTestResult.java:90)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.DeviceTestResult.runProtected(DeviceTestResult.java:65)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.DeviceTestResult.run(DeviceTestResult.java:94)
at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:129)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.DeviceTestCase.run(DeviceTestCase.java:183)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.JUnitRunUtil.runTest(JUnitRunUtil.java:55)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.JUnitRunUtil.runTest(JUnitRunUtil.java:38)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.DeviceTestCase.run(DeviceTestCase.java:148)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.HostTest.runRemoteTest(HostTest.java:522)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.HostTest.runTestClasses(HostTest.java:465)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.HostTest.run(HostTest.java:455)
at com.android.compatibility.common.tradefed.testtype.JarHostTest.run(JarHostTest.java:53)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.suite.GranularRetriableTestWrapper.intraModuleRun(GranularRetriableTestWrapper.java:276)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.suite.GranularRetriableTestWrapper.run(GranularRetriableTestWrapper.java:222)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.suite.ModuleDefinition.run(ModuleDefinition.java:397)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.suite.ITestSuite.runSingleModule(ITestSuite.java:519)
at com.android.tradefed.testtype.suite.ITestSuite.run(ITestSuite.java:448)
at com.android.compatibility.common.tradefed.testtype.retry.RetryFactoryTest.run(RetryFactoryTest.java:177)
at com.android.tradefed.invoker.InvocationExecution.runTests(InvocationExecution.java:384)
at com.android.tradefed.invoker.TestInvocation.prepareAndRun(TestInvocation.java:358)
at com.android.tradefed.invoker.TestInvocation.performInvocation(TestInvocation.java:205)
at com.android.tradefed.invoker.TestInvocation.invoke(TestInvocation.java:667)
at com.android.tradefed.command.CommandScheduler$InvocationThread.run(CommandScheduler.java:566)

Could you please publish the cts result xml file?

Chris