Which US networks can Fairphone 3 use?

Which US networks can Fairphone 3 use? Is it able to use the new specialized SIM cards to access our CDMA networks?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Will fairphone 3 work on US carriers?

I would like to know also. Google Fi has three networks accessible so I hope Fairphone 3 works on at least one of them.

Hello across the pond … I’m no expert, but just to make sure you haven’t overlooked the publicly available info:

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/#section-6

Bands can be found way down on the page (if the link above doesn’t land you there right away) in “The Tech Specs” section, see the “Network” sub-section.

Please be aware that so far Fairphone only serves the European market, so while some Americans have gotten ahold of Fairphones, they did so knowing that the company cannot provide actual customer support to them.

3 Likes

On the product page on the tech specs section under the Network subsection, it says for 4G :“Bands - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 20, 26”. the 2,4,5 are pretty common in the US and the 13 I think is used by T-mobile. so apparently it would work but your mileage may vary.

The FP3 (like the FP2) supports some of the bands used in the US (and other countries), but not all of them. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as one operator = one band. All operators use multiple bands for multiple technologies and also occasionally upgrade them e. g. from 2G and 3G to 4G or 5G. You really have to carefully check the bands used by your operator and match them to the bands supported by FP3 (listed on the official product page). But if optimum coverage in the US is important to you, a phone made specifically for the European market is not the best choice.

Neither FP2 nor FP3 support CDMA2000 (an older 3G technology still used by Verizon and Sprint) because this was never used in Europe. 5G is not supported, either.

2 Likes

As I said, I myself am not an expert in this, but I just noticed Fairphone has a few official lines on Fairphone connectivity in the USA – those sound more pessimistic when it comes to 4G:

2 Likes

Somewhen somebody will have to debug all those “Fairphone 2” mentions where it should be “Fairphone 3” … same on the new cashback for old phones page :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Title. I live in the United States but travel to Europe on a regular basis to see family and I wanted to know if the Fairphone worked well in the US. The Network I use is AT&T if that helps.

Thanks

Fairphone has all necessary info on its website:

United States

When it comes to the United States , 4G(LTE) will not always work (see the 4G / LTE bands listed below to verify with your provider). But all other network interfaces will - like 3G data connection, as fast as the networks go. This means that you will have a well functioning internet connection. Although you won’t be able to access the latest network potential.

Source: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032577632

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.