Whatsapp download possible to Kola Nut 1.8.7?

Hello folks, does anybody know whether it´s possible to download Whatsapp to my Fairphone 1 - Kola Nut 1.8.7?

1 Like

No, that’s not possible. Your FP1 runs on Android 4.2. Kola Nut 1.8.7 (which is Fairphone’s codename for their software release that is based on Android 4.2) was released about 8 years ago. From the longevity perspective it’s exciting to see these devices are still used. However the software is really outdated nowadays which is why WhatsApp requires at least Android 5 to run on. Using a much older version of WhatsApp won’t work either because they usually won’t let you login with these.
I’m sorry, but I guess it’s like this with most of the apps on your phone nowadays, isn’t it?

6 Likes

Here’s a source – both for Martin’s Android 5.0 information and for a download: https://www.whatsapp.com/android/ However, as Martin says, while you can download an .apk file there, it certainly will not install on your FP1. :frowning:

On a different note, it seems you are still using your FP1 after 10 years? :slight_smile: I admire that. :+1:
(I’ve still got my own FP1U in a drawer.)

4 Likes

Thank you plenty for this useful information, Martin!
Best regards

Thomas

Seems I am not the only one whose FP1 (first edition) is still in use :grinning: However, I only use my FP1 for downloading and listening to podcasts as most apps stopped working properly quite some time ago and I wonder how long the browser app is going to work. In December 2021 I therefore switched to a FP4 and am happy with it.

4 Likes