Whats a good conference tool that doesn't spy on you?

If you want to go on a public server, make sure that it REALLY is located in the EU and that you can communicate to it directly.

Some providers tie a CDN in between you and the actual server, very often it is Cloudflare. That means while the server may be in the EU, the content delivery network is not, and as a US company Cloudfront cannot be GDPR compliant, because they are bound by the legal system of the United States - which means that without the need for a judge to decide upon the individual case governmental bodies can force Cloudfront with a “national security letter” to copy them ALL the data they have about you, and remain silent to you about that forever.

So be sure to check ANY public server that you want to use by geolocating it to rule out that maybe they have a US based CDN as a reverse proxy.

1 Like

I have a report (*) about:

I did a setup on a VPS server ( 2 vCPU and 4 GB RAM with a lot of bandwidth ~15€/month: the operating system is Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit server and I used the installer bbb-install.sh ) and I used it for about 27 lessons.

The lessons had from 30 to 70 students: it went very well and I will use it again next year.

For schools, distance learning or lectures?
BBB is the best choice.

What did I like the most?

1. How the presentations are handled
  2. The possibility of separate rooms to do revisions/work groups
  3. The wordpress plugin ( https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/bigbluebutton/ ) for integration with existing platforms
  4. Integrated surveys

Ciao,
Riccardo

(*)(this was the first post about it: Whats a good conference tool that doesn't spy on you? )

3 Likes

Thanks @rickyx
We decided to use BBB too recently. We’ll use a public server funded through donations this weekend with probably a similar number of participants.
I hope it works well, because if it doesn’t we’ll switch to zoom again and I’ll be excluded. Anyway I’ll report back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then I also share a detail: few users, behind firewalls (in my opinion badly configured, it’s not a TURN problem) as in colleges or public buildings, could have technical problems to connect (as it happens also with other systems).
In this case you can suggest to use the mobile connection: it works very well! The bandwidth for a listener is minimal and doesn’t drain all the data credit.

2 Likes

Does anybody know a discord instance that isn’t in the Google cloud? Or any other GAFAM cloud or cloudflare?

Discord is a proprietary, closed source centralized software. There are no ways to my knowledge to run it as you own service anywhere else.

3 Likes

Yeah I just realized that myself. :frowning:

@paulakreuzer https://rocket.chat/ is a very good communication platform that may be self hosted.

Up to now. https://jitsi.org/ seems to me the easy solution.
I had a trans-atlantic session with around 10 people and it was stable.
Of course self-hosting is always better, but almost nobody does that.

1 Like

Hello @paulakreuzer,

This might be exactly what you were looking for. FYI Edward Snowden is part of this organization.

Many greetings
-Hendrik

That whole site is in the Cloudflare cloud and the article doesn’t even mention Big Blue Button…

Here is their article on BBB. What is your concern with cloudflare? Where du you get this information?

Cloudflare is one of the big surveillancecapitalistic cloudservices. I use Cloud Firewall, a Firefox plugin to block such sites.

Should I copy-past the content of the BBB article for you?

1 Like

No, that’s okay. There are ways to see sites without accessing them:

2 Likes

:ok_hand:
Thats pretty neat. I hadn’t thought of this method.

1 Like

Since it hasn’t been mentioned yet:

Really good public BBB instance (hosted in Germany) without a need to register: senfcall.de.

There is a list with some more public BBB and Jitsi instances at Digitalcourage (it’s in german, sorry): Videokonferenzen müssen keine Datenschleudern sein | Digitalcourage

3 Likes

Regarding Jitsi: Note that Jitsi cannot do end-to-end encryption with more than 2 participants. Also, care must be taken when choosing the platform supplier (if not self-hosted). Many claim to be GDPR compliant, but a closer look at their term shows that they aren’t. Also, if using the app from Jitsi: Be sure to use only the F-Droid version. Because that has “only” one spying tool inside, the Playstore version has three… (That is because Google always adds two spywares of their own to ALL open source software in the Playstore…).

Developers add them.¹ Even independent ones. That’s the sad part of the reality.

¹ Although that could change in the near future, with Google requiring developer’s private signing keys.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.