Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

Bloody bureaucrats :frowning:
Good to hear your wife’s happy with her new phone though!

3 Likes

Hi Every One! Nancy Dukes here from UK.

Hello everybody,
I have my Fairphone since 1 month and I’m very happy with it. Everything goes fine. I try to motivate my friends to buy one but it’s difficult to change their way of consuming… I’m mad of music and cross-stitching so I stiched and sew a case for my Fairphone and my earphones, it’s a single model I think !

10 Likes

Hi
I’m one of the Fairphone Owner’s who ordered the Fairphone on the first Batch an i’m pround to be a part of this community.
Last saturday i visited a conference of http://www.micahchallenge.org/ and i met at least three other Fairphone users :-).
I hope, in future it will be possible to install the Android OS-Update or Cyanogen on our First-Batch-Phone…!
Thanks for your work!
Dosc

1 Like

Hi there! Buyer from New Zealand. First maybe???

I took a gamble on the Fairphone and it works perfectly on my local carrier, data and all. Love the concept!

4 Likes

Lars here, soon to be 40 (december), senior adviser at the Swedish Environment Protection Agency. My FP has exceeded a speed of 450 km/h in freefall and it passed the test with honors. :wink:

#4th place in the world speed skydiving championships 2014

7 Likes

Hi there, I am Erich from Fieberbrunn, Austria. Going to buy one for my kids - hopefully 2015!! So, I am reading through and grab all information that are important for me. Have fun.

1 Like

Hi, @fairebby!
Welcome to the FP forum! I invite you to check out the following link:

Greets, Stefan

PS.: I have been to Fieberbrunn twice for skiing holidays and like it very much! :slight_smile:

Hi there,

i’m Paul and currently living in Germany. The Fairphone is my first smartphone so far (for obvious reasons, at least to us “fairphoners”, i haven’t bought a smartphone earlier) and i do like the idealistic concept behind it…if we never try something idealistic because of pragmatic barriers, then there won’t be any change at all.
Anyway i’m looking forward to the further development of fairphone - i hope that over time there will be more and more people attracted by this concept (or at least some companies with huge influence on the global market und producing process)

1 Like

Hi!

I am waiting for the delivery of my FairPhone. But I want to keep myself away from Google and non libre software. I have also a N900 and I am interested about Neo900 and maybe IndiePhone. So yes, I like libre culture and privacy.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi Fairphoners:

I’m delighted to join our introduction pages, after reading your posts!

I’m French, living in the Bordeaux’ area with wife and children. We discover FP following links from Patagonia’s blog. Now, we own and daily use 2 FP First Edition, with as pleasure as we never had before with our old basic phones. We did that very quick choice to join the FP movement as we’re of course sharing the values, more than being smarphones users! …but we actually became (I guess! ;-)), as our FP’s are our first “smartphones” too.
We’re both running the F-Droid apps from the first boot, as a choice of a greater freedom.

Since January, one of our close friends became a Fairphoner too, by leaving his old Iphone! A bunch of other friends will follow, for sure.

Well, here’s enought; don’t want to bore you with a longer pres.
Have a nice FP experience, enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi sim6.

Your attention to open culture meets mine. As I wrote in my pres., I’m using mainly F-Droid apps (“F” stands for “Free” in an OpenSource mind). When installing a new F-Droid app, I appreciate the system warns me about data collection by the selected app. So I can easily decide to go or cancel the installation.

To make your own opinion, have a look to: https://f-droid.org/, …maybe it will suit your needs.
:wink:

This topic too would be helpfull.

1 Like

Hi there,
I’m am a french and not a fairphone customer for now. But I hope I will be.
This phone looks promising and if if could run with ubuntu OS, I will definitely buy one.
Keep doing your work. You are amazing!

1 Like

Thanks @Sebastien, @Chris_R and @Stefan!

If I understood well, there are no Google applications installed by
default in FairPhone, but there is a widget to install these apps, named
Gapps. My plan is to ignore this widget and install f-droid to install
ChatSecure, OsmAnd~, OSMTracker, Vespucci, K-9.

As I don’t want to pollute this “Welcome! Introduce yourself here!” topic, I post my answer in the Alternative Apps(tores): Living without Google topic, which our discussion is link to.
:wink:

I have received my FairPhone just now! I am very happy :slight_smile: The game starts…

1 Like

Hallo, I am Georg, currently in Denmark. I would like to purchase my first smart phone and for many obvious reasons I want it to be a Fairphone. However, some discussions I read have made me a bit insecure, namely the issue of a new model with a new operating system and possible problems with future updates for the current model. These debates are far too technical for me. My question is: should I get my FP now and will there be system updates or do I have to wait for further clarification at the end of November - or possibly one year for the new model? I want it to be a long-term investment, but I also need it as soon as possible.
Thank you for your advice. You can also re-direct me to the right forum thread given that it is not too technical or geared towards the question of open system vs. google. My only question is: will the current model work for years to come? Thanks!

2 Likes

Bonjour
j’ai connu Fairphone par une émission Franco-Allemande “ARTE” dans une des émissions appelée “GENIUS”. Le sujet devait être: la fin programée des articles. Les animateurs en arrivent rapidement à l’ ordiphone, programmé pour ne pas être réparable et…pas très solide. C’est ainsi qu’il ont parlé d’un tout nouveau téléphone qui serait RÉPARABLE, le FAIRPHONE!!

Mon métier de conducteur d’autocar m’a amené à m’abonner pour prendre un téléphone portatif. J’étais peutêtre le dernier conducteur d’ autocar de tourisme à ne pas en avoir! Jai pris le plus simple!

Puis un jour, “Itinéris” propose un SPV 620 qui permet aussi de noter des choses, d’enregistrer des rendez vous et même qui possède la navigation!! Voilà quelque chose d’utile pour moi qui suit souvent sur les routes et rarement les mêmes!

Rapidement je m’aperçois que ce téléphone portatif est un mini ordinateur ou un ordinateur de poche. Je l’appel donc un *ORDIPHONE

Mais déception, tout est payant!! Abonnement pour 2h 45€ et navigation payante, communications depuis l’étranger hors forfait!! Ca côute cher !!

En fait il s’agissait d’un ordiphone de marque HTC rebaptisé SPV par Itinéris. Bref, je l’ai gardé 7 ans au bout desquels il montrait des signes de fatigue comme, appeler une personne toutes les 5 minutes!! Même les techiciens d’Orange ( et oui entre temps France télécom a repris Orange en Grande Bretagne et en a gardé le nom en supprimant Itinéris) n’ont rien trouvé pour remédier au problème.

Début 2012, j’achète un HTC sensation blanc, 450 € et oui quand même mais je change d’opérateur pour aller chez Free, déjà mon opérateur d’internet maison. En un peu plus de 1 an, mon téléphone est remboursé! Donc pas si cher!

Mais voilà, 17 septembre 2014, je le perds!! Ce pose la question du rempplacement. J’avais déjà vu l’émission de Arte passée en 2013, je retrouve le nom et hop je le prend car pas question de *CAUTIONNER L’ ESCLAVAGISME !!!

Vous savez tout sur mon histoire téléphonique portative.

Encore un truc
Comme je voyage beaucoup, j’ai choisi la STERNE, l’oiseau qui émigre sur les plus longues distances.

1 Like

Hi Karen, I’m Tom, just got a FP and am happily babbling on to people about it’s conflict free whatnots, where are you in Ghana? I spent a lot of time in Bolga and Accra. Got a friend in Circle involved in Tech that I’m hoping to join in a few years. Enjoy the dual sim option!

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
I’ve been a happy owner of a 2nd batch Fairphone for a few months now.

It replaced a Samsung S4 mini with no noticeable difference except that the interface is better, doesn’t come with crap-ware and makes me feel lighter.

3 Likes