Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

Hi all,

I’m Maurice from Karlsruhe, Germany, working there as an electronics and software developer.

In spring / summer 2015 I was struggling to find a a new phone to replace my good old Galaxy Note (which at that time was just over three years old). While I was still mostly happy with its features and performance (thanks to CyanogenMod) the hardware slowly started to fail (buttons, USB connector).

I already had compiled a short list of phones which would meet (most of) my requirements. Then Fairphone launched the FP2 pre-order. It was the (almost*) perfect match I and placed my order the same day.

The FP2 is my third Android phone and I hope it will make it into the next decade!

• Still hoping for a wireless charging case!
4 Likes

Welcome, @ChuckMorris! :slight_smile:

Hello! I’m Kate. I’ve just put in a pre-order for a Fairphone 2! Very excited (although I guess I’ll have a while to wait). I only came across Fairphone recently but it makes perfect sense and I’m so glad there are other people out there who feel that treating people fairly and caring for the environment are really important :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, @Kelm, and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile: Pass your enthusiasm about Fairphone on to the people around you! :smiley:

Do you know that it takes more energy to charge your phone wireless?

Hi everyone!

My name is Julien, discovered the fairphone last year thanks to a friend and got it 3 days ago!
So far really happy about it!

And also really glad to be part of what looks like a great community!
Cheers!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @julien8! Have fun with your new FP2! :slight_smile:

Hi!
I’m a new FP2 user from Helsinki, Finland.
I’m still getting used to the new interface, trying to figure out how to make my battery last for the whole day, trying to get excited for making the switch to using only this phone as my “works for everything” phone.
(It would be nice to find a shortcut for enabling the hotspot feature for example, as my phone IS my internet connection.)
Gotta love Finland and reasonably priced “real” flatrates :slight_smile:
Anyways, it’s great that such a forum like this exist - I already got help yesterday. Thank you!

4 Likes

Well, I have not introduced myself here. I speak :de: and :gb:. Let’s copy the text from my profile:

:de: Hallo liebe Fairphone-Gemeinde! Ich (* 1991) lebe in der Nähe von Dresden und habe seit 8. Januar 2016 ein Fairphone 2. Zuvor nutzte ich seit Dezember 2007 ein (zuvor von meiner Mutter benutztes) Siemens A55, welches auch mein erstes Handy war. Das Fairphone 2 ist also mein zweites Handy und mein erstes Smartphone. Der Hauptgrund, warum ich mir ein Fairphone gekauft habe, ist, dass ich es nicht einsehe, alle zwei Jahre ein neues Handy zu kaufen. Die „klassischen“ Android-Smartphone-Hersteller hören meiner Meinung nach viel zu schnell auf, Softwareupdates herauszubringen, womit man bald an Inkompatibilitäten und offenen Sicherheitslücken (wie Stagefright) leidet. Android nutze ich, weil es kein „Walled Garden“ wie iOS und Windows Phone ist.

:gb: Hello Fairphoners! I (born 1991) live near Dresden, Germany and have a Fairphone 2 since 8 January 2016. Before that, I used a Siemens A55 since December 2007 (which was used before by my mother). The Siemens A55 was my first mobile phone, so the Fairphone 2 is my second mobile phone and my first smartphone. The main reason why I bought a Fairphone is that I don’t accept to buy a new mobile phone every two years. In my opinion, the “classical” Android smartphone manufacturers stop too early supplying software updates so you will soon suffer from incompatibilities and security holes (like Stagefright). I use Android because it is not a “walled garden” like iOS or Windows Phone.

4 Likes

Well, I got a hotspot shortcut in the pull-down menu after I have enabled the hotspot feature and changed the password for the first time.

3 Likes

Welcome @happykid and @TobiasF!

I’ve seen you around, @TobiasF, thank you for taking part in the discussions so frequently! :slight_smile:

So I guess I’ll go ahead and introduce myself as well - hello everyone!

I am a freelance musician from Hannover, Germany and still in the process of discovering the geek part of myself. (Three years ago I started teaching myself some stuff about Linux because I wanted to use it on my laptop and it turned out to be pretty interesting ;-))

I heard about the Fairphone before the first edition came out and then got to fumble around with it a bit because two friends of mine have it. The concept convinced me immediately and I decided to buy one as soon as my smartphone would die. Well - in decemeber '15 I lost it on a bus and since no one ever brought it to a lost and found office I pre-ordered the Fairphone 2! I’m waiting very impatiently but seeing that this might be the last time waiting for a phone in the next 5+ years (oh yeah, I’m an optimistic person), it’s okay.

I love the forum, awesome community!! Really cool to see people helping each other, being friendly and discussing personal opinions in a very polite way, I appreciate that a lot.

6 Likes

Welcome to you too, @Hooloovoo! :slight_smile:

Hi all, after my first three posts here, I would like to shortly introduce myself here.

I live in Ludwigsburg, Germany and work as a materials engineer. Besides my moneyearn profession I am musician, podcaster, Esperanto speaker, hacker and maybe some other things.

I joined the FP community by purchasing the FP2 and I would like to share experiences here about using and hacking the FP2.

6 Likes

Hi @johmue, welcome to the forum!

Ludwigsburg is not too far from Stuttgart, so why not connect with the local community there: :smiley:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/pencil2-local-fairphoners-address-book-fairphone-communities/3815/7?u=stefan

There’ll be a meetup on 23rd Feb.

You might be interested in this topic then: :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! I’m David, from Barcelona. I’m excited with my new smartphone, so we’ll take on touch. Best!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @davidcadi. In case you have not seen it already, the Barcelona Fairphoners will meet up on 23rd February during MWC. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m Jane in the UK, got my brand new Fairphone 2 this week and am loving it (even if it is a steep learning curve to go from iOS to Android!). Can’t stop telling people all about it and showing it off.

So glad that my phone now matches things I take for granted in the rest of my life (buying Fairtrade, boycotting Nestlé, supporting local businesses, that kind of thing).

I work in IT and love fiddling with settings so please excuse me if I start bombarding the forum with questions - but I promise I will use the search first…

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Jane_Baker! :slight_smile:

We value such an attitude! :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Jerry I have just got my FP2 and am dissapointed at the use of google as a default I am a techy idiot and don’t want google in my life any more then is nessary is there any help out there?

1 Like