Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

Welcome to the forum, @Aurelio_Lopez! :slight_smile:

Please be aware that this is mainly a community forum and most posts are not read by Fairphone staff. The communitymoderators are not employed by Fairphone, for example.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve had an iphone 4 for almost 8 years and I’m now ready for a Fairphone. Looking to buy a new one when they are available in the website again (or when the phone coop decide to sell them without a contract again!)

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Carlos.

If you’re in a hurry you can look at the list of #resellers.

1 Like

Thanks Paula! If it is not available in the website by the end of the year I will do that, possibly through Ecosto

Good morning Fair Phoners (?)

I don’t have a fairphone yet, heck I don’t even have an Android.

No worries. I still can use a phone – although this is not my favorite communication device. Actually I like writing a lot, and on Discourse in particular. I run Petites Singularités, a non-profit in Brussels that uses Discourse in our daily work. We explore organizational practices to understand how free technologies can amplify the organization’s actions. We work with free software exclusively.

I want to engage Fairphone further into the free software and free hardware worlds…

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @how! You wrote the 500th post in this thread! :smiley:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Post count different for different users. How come?

Hi,

My name is Dom and I am a web developer living in Derbyshire, UK.

My journey to finding the Fairphone started as a result of looking into ways to improve my lifestyle to benefit my local community and the environment, including turning vegan 3 months ago. I happened to purchase a magazine recently (Permaculture for anyone interested) when I was browsing in my local supermarket, which contained an advert for the Fairphone courtesy of The Phone Co-Op.

I was in the market for a new phone as my previous one had recently packed up and, even though I had sent it to the manufacturer to be repaired, they classed it as an uneconomical repair and so were going to charge me for a replacement handset (even though the phone was still under the 2 year warranty, there was some damage that apparently voided it).

I had all but decided on my new phone - the iPhone SE - as I like small form factor phones so that I can easily use with one hand, and that was the only alternative to the Sony Xperia Compact range that I had previously, alongside not being too happy with Android/Google at that point in time (not that I considered Apple to be much better).

So alongside all this, I was also learning more about online privacy and data security, and finding out about how much data is being collected from companies/services online and offline that a lot of us take for granted.

All these things culminated in making the decision to purchase the Fairphone 2. The first thing I did with the phone after turning it on and getting it hooked up to the Wi-Fi was to install the Fairphone Open OS, as it is important for me to not use GAPPS where possible.

I haven’t fully migrated yet (my SIM card is still sitting in an old spare phone) as I am working on understanding and getting all the functionality set up before I use it as my main handset, but I am working on it as I have some downtime over the holiday period.

I am looking forward to learning more about open-source app development so hopefully in future I can get stuck in myself.

The information on this forum has proved invaluable, and will continue to do so as I delve further into the possibilities.

Cheers,
Dom

7 Likes

Hi. My name is toon, 34 years old and from the Netherlands (Eindhoven). I just bought the fairphone 2. It is a great device. It is superior to the simple samsung GT-S5280 I was used to passed 3 years. But price is also much higher (530 euros compared to 80).

I like to be more independed from the tech giants, and I like to spend my money in a way which encourages a proper way of doing business. Meaning that all life is respected everywhere anytime. Being by mere luck a citizen of the free and prosperous west world this is the least thing I can do with my stable freedom and wealth.

Fairphone seems to be the only one among the big players like samsumg, apple and so on.

It was a bit disappointing to discover that google has infected (so to speak) Android completely. And that there is no easy way out. But I saw that on this forum you can run completely google free, which I am going to study and try. Because I can not accept that buying a (striving for) fair phone means you must give up your digital identity to some uncontrolled company.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @toonl and @LadiesMan217! :slight_smile:

If you have some spare time, I invite you to get involved in the effort to build a community portal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all, I am from Antwerpen, Belgium and I pre-ordered an orginal FP2 but never ever got it to work.

Right now I am looking for other Belgians active on this Forum, so I can do a couple of tests.

So any1 who can point me into the directions of other Belgians or Antwerpenaren active on this Forum, much appreciated.

Tx / Danny

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Da_Cool! :slight_smile:

Simply start a new topic and add it to the addressbook :slight_smile: Then people will be able to find you and post in that topic.

I don’t yet see any Belgian #addressbook entries, nor would I feel the need to start a local meetup - I am just looking for fellow country men/women to test my own FP2 problem with.

One reaction I had, but then again we don’t seem to be able to meetup easily either:roll_eyes:

You didn’t read my post carefully. I suggested that you start a local topic and add a link to it to the #addressbook. Then other Belgians, who visit the #addressbook will see your topic and might answer. Nobody said that you would have to organize a local meetup.

I’m just saying that the chances to find other locals are pretty low in a thread with over 500 posts.

2 Likes

Hey @nanoplink and welcome to the forum and community!

I moved your post here as I don’t think it has anything to do with the #communityportal.

As for the lack of information I think you should have a look at the #wiki’s and #staff curated guides. Also the #meta:dictionary could be interesting to you. You can edit wikis and contribute if you have info that isn’t mentioned there yet.

Hi @paulakreuzer and thanks for showing me those links! :slight_smile: I withdrawed my response because I think it have to do with the community portal and should not be in this thread.

My first post was about that : there is no clear direction for people who want to dive into the hardware and how to contribute to the community on a more technical side. The community portal is the landing page for the Fairphone community. It should hold those kind of informations. One shouldn’t wait a community member to point out those resources (even if that’s a really nice move you made!)

Since I didn’t introduce myself yet here I go : I’m a electronics/system development enthusiast and I bought a fairphone 2 because I wondered if it could remove some friction on device customization. I’m also interested by the USB 2 port at the back of the phone and what it could allow! :grin:

(also can i post my message again in #communityportal now?)

2 Likes

@nanoplink If you want to discuss the content of the #communityportal, please head over to the Github repository and start an issue:

Ps: I’m gonna close the other topic because Github is easier to keep track of the discussion around the community portal.

Welcome to the forum, @samk! Why don’t you tell us a bit about yourself? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems like that has been a spam account?

Australian. Work in Qatar. Owner of a Fairphone 2 after a lot of hassle.

I want to vote with my money and time for supply chain transparency. We walk into supermarkets and shops and know nothing. I want to know the story of each product. I want to contribute to this movement at least with my purchasing decisions but also professionally. I would prefer, actually, to stop with this whole career bullshit. But it occurs to me that my specialty in geographic information systems might help with a supply chain transparency system.

6 Likes