Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

Just checked. Invoice INV04146 on 2 June last year. (possible I was not in the first 5000 if – mental arithmetic moment – circa 400 customers before me ordered two phones; 'but what about those who ordered three?" I hear you cry… hmph, If I wasn’t in the forst 5k, I was close enough.)

1 Like

Hi, I’ve only just come across the idea of Fairphone, but I’m really excited by the ethics and freedoms of the project! Hoping this continues with the success it deserves.

Dear Fairphonies!
Two days ago I received my first Smartphone - MY FAIRPHONE!!!
The postman thought I was some kind of crazy, I think, jumping up and down :wink:
Thank good I’ve got three kids which know “everything” about smartphones
so my own helpers are constantly around in the afternoon (“Oh no, Mum is coming, what
is it now with her Fairphone?” :wink: But I will learn…
I’m now looking in the forum about your experiences with google apps or free apps,
to who can I ask for these questions?
Great to have it! Greatings from Bielefeld, Germany! Hiphiphurray

1 Like

Hey @Stucki_17, welcome to the world of smartphones!
In a couple of weeks I’ll be in the exact same position as your kids, my dad will also have the Fairphone as his first Smartphone. So I think I can relate (kind of?) :smile:

Anyway, if you got any specific questions just open up a new topic!
Edit: Before opening a new topic, use the search function to see if something similar already came up. In case you got any questions in german feel free to send me a message.
I got a couple topics collected that might or might not be interesting for you to start with:
Toughts about my new fairphone
Software tools for dealing with your Android device
Ideas for fair or eco apps?

And some video tutorials on YouTube:
Getting you started with your Fairphone

1 Like

Hey @Stucki_17, welcome to the forum!

If you find it important to avoid Google Apps & Services you should always take a look at Alternative Apps(tores): Living without Google
and
Synchronising calendar with Android (preferably free software)

If you have further questions, you can also send me a message in German. :slight_smile:

If you want a little guide on how to use the forum, you can check this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!
I’m Peeter from Malmö, Sweden, and my FP just arrived last week, along with a blue case.
I must say that I’m more than impressed, both with the phone and the case (after a bit of bending). My last phone was an HTC Desire X, which I never really liked. The FP is a major step forwards.
I’ve been lurking about the forums for a while as well and I have definitely learned a thing or two about Fairphone and Android in general.
Thanks for a great phone and a great community!

1 Like

Hi, I call my self Nordlig. I am from Karlskrona in Sweden and I bought a phone from the first batch. I like the environmental and fair aspects but also the open software/hardware mentality. I want to be able to run any OS I feel like just like i do with my computer - I think its freedom and its educating too.
I love this planet we live on and i want it to be habitable for a long time to come, therefor its important to make a stand and not to get stuck in the hamster wheel but instead find your real inner passions. I need my phone to function not only when i go to work but also when i trekking through the forests or kayaking in the waters of Sweden taking pictures and navigating with maps. I hope this venture will last long!

3 Likes

Hello,

I’m Roland and I got my FP just a few days after Christmas from the first batch. I’m a long time palm user (Palm TX at last), and thought a long time about changing into the smartphone-area (because Palm dropped this activity and was dropped itself :-(), but had not a clue which system and which brand. Then I noticed the crowdfunding campaign of FP and became part of it. To support this idea is more important than technical advantages or disadvantages of any phone.
I’m mostly satisfied with the FP, I just posted some issues, I can’t solve by reading support-posts up to now.
But there are still some things I’m using the old Palm (and this is nothing, FP is able to solve). Syncronizing the whole Outlook including notes (and in the same step other apps, password safe, money app etc.) was so easy with the Palm, now I need a bunch of apps and have to synchronize each for its own.
So if someone knows a real simple notes app with outlook exchange (no cloud! exchange server would be perfect) or a good count-down-timer like big-clock for Palm, let me know!

1 Like

It’s now a little bit more than one month that my wife had hers, and two weeks I got mine. All I have to say is that I’m very impressed. After the Cherry 1.6 update, the battery life is still, after a few cycles for recalibration, between 2,5 and 3,5 days, depending on usage. I just couldn’t believe it and it’s a very impressive change after my Sony Xperia. I don’t play games, but I call, send and recieve SMS, take a few pictures, surf the web, check my email like a professionnal manager would, and had no problem at all. I use stock Android without google apps (Only free software from FDroid), and It’s all flawless and a real pleasure to use. My wife use The Fairphone Launcher and google apps, no problem either. It’s really a question of choice and taste beetwen these two options, and it’s very appreciable that Fairphone leaves us the choice. Not much to say besides that. The screen ins bright, very pleasant to look at, and responsive when you type on it or swipe. The camera is, it’s true, not comparable with the top of lines smartphone, but, surprisingly, the video caption is better than standard picture caption. This let me think that software optimisation is still possible. When I tell my friend the story behind Fairphone, their reaction is generally : “OK, that’s nice, but the price must be very high”. When I tell them that is cost 325 €, they say that they where expecting much more. True : the Fairphone as also a fair price.
On word to conclude : excellent work Fairphone. Keep on !

2 Likes

Hello fellow Fairphoners!
I just returned from vacation to find my first Fairphone (which is also my very first smartphone!) waiting for me. I just placed an order for my 3D print case as well. :slight_smile: I stopped accepting offers for new phones from providers years ago because I couldn’t bear the thought of how much junk we were creating every year by getting a new phone, not to mention my extreme fear of committing to ongoing phone contracts. I’ve been following the Fairphone project from the beginning and decided to opt-in on the 2nd round. I’m really happy and proud that my first smartphone is a Fairphone! I look forward to joining you all for interesting chats on this forum! :smile:

2 Likes

Hello
I’m Christina and I received my first ever smartphone (Fairphone of course!) on Friday via the UK distributor The Phone Coop who have been my telecoms provider for the past 7 years … Like another contributor, since my first mobile (a Nokia) in 1994 I’ve only ever used small Nokia phones for texts and calls so this is a big step for me. Once I knew a Fairtrade phone was in development I determined not to upgrade until I could buy one. My latest Nokia was falling apart, the battery was almost dead as a doornail and I couldn’t get a signal half the time so the Phone Coop distribution deal came in just in time for me! I’m already delighted. just one question - I’ve been looking a the 3D cases on the Fairphone site and really want to order one and get it printed locally (I live near Bristol). Has anyone on here already bought one and done this in the UK? as I want to know how the whole order, voucher, etc. process went if possible before I hit the Confirm your Order button! Thanks everyone! Christina

1 Like

Welkom in the Fairphone-family.
Regarding your question about the 3D case in the UK, more information see 3d case

3 Likes

Hello, I’m a new Fairphone user from Italy.
Being an IT security consultant, I was not happy with entrusting my data to those “black boxes” people nowdays call smartphones.
The Fairphone brought a breath of fresh air. With its open source, configurable and clean software, the Fairphone put me in full control of my data and actions. For this and other reasons I am extremely satisfied with the purchase and also plan to spread the word to colleagues and friends.
The only downside is you guys spoiled me: I cannot imagine ever going back to ordinary locked down, closed-source devices.

EDIT: disappointed by not being able to prevent the browser from sending to the search provider what I type in the URL bar

3 Likes

Thanks Lidwien that was really useful. I had already tried to locate a local 3D hub in Bristol via internet search but just got confused about what the ‘official’ 3D Hubs’ site is! I’ll keep at it til I find one! Christina

2 Likes

Hello all, my name is Dora and I live in the county of Wiltshire in the UK, known for its neolithic sites and occasionally appearing crop circles!
I received my second batch Fairphone just over a week ago and I’m absolutely loving it. Not just as a phone, but also the whole idea behind it, as well as the personal touch: the responsiveness of the Fairphone team and this forum.
Lots of colleagues of mine have also shown interest in the phone and the initiative.
Onwards and upwards!

2 Likes

Hello I am Kostis from Athens, Greece. I hold this precious thing in my hands since last week and I am really amazed. It’s the first time I feel really free about using a smartphone, and real human. I love it!
And the packaging is awsome!
Here in Athens noone of my friends has ever heard a word about Fairphone. Until now…
Thank you guys !!! Keep the good work !!!

4 Likes

Hi ho everyone,
I’m Rob Doc, living in the Rhein-Main area of Germany and the FP is my first smartphone, because so far I refused to buy these “black boxes”. I also think the concept of the FP (and the people there ;-)) point into the right direction. Having read ‘The circle’ by Dave Eggers during the holidays you’ll get a glimpse of the near future.
Now I’m very happy with my google free, almost only open source FP, and since it’s arrical at my residence I learned a lot more what is possible with this little machines since I started at university typed ‘punch cards’.
Thx to the FP Team - you started an amazing movement :sunny:
Rob Doc

3 Likes

Hi,

just got my Fairphone, finally - after the first parcel had been lost by the courier!
I like the ideas of transparency and fairness.
Thrilled to see how the phone will perform.

Gerhard

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m Torea from French Polynesia.
I discovered the fairphone website last June and quickly pre-order one for my wife as her cheap normal phone was dying. I was very surprised to find a good fairtrade smartphone for less than 300 euros!
Although we’re very pleased with the phone itself, the import process from France to French Polynesia was a very frustrating experience : a friend received the phone in France and brought it by plane to French Polynesia, I received the phone at her arrival and proceeded to the custom to pay local taxes but the #&*$@ laws and staff forced me to use a company to get the custom process done. I had to give the phone back, wait 4 days and spend about 200 euros to finally be able to pay the 80 euros taxes…
So for a little less than 300 euros, it’s possible to make a good smartphone with the contribution, in various part of the world, of a large number of people receiving fair wages. And here, for more than half of this sum, about 3 people spent probably less than 30mn filling 10 useless sheets of paper so that the phone could make 50 meters from custom to outside the airport!
I thought I would buy one for me when my phone dies but it’s depressing to see that half of the money paid goes to people who have nothing to do with the product and do the smallest amount of work.

At least, my wife appreciate the phone and the philosophy linked to it!
Good work!

5 Likes