Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

Welcome to the forum @anon22355583 ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi everybody!!

I am a future Fairphone 2 owner. I have not bought it yet, but I will in a few days. I love the project, I love opensource, and I am happy to contribute with such a project!!

See your around!

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Javi_VM! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where are my badges then, you know I have a First Eidition and for longer than 3 years: “owner of Fairphone # 00139”???:wink:

Wow, you lived a risky life without these badges! I immediately granted them to you! That was long overdue! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi folks,

My interest in Fairphone first came from my friend who gifted me the phone, as he works changing supply webs of companies towards more regenerative practices (at Terra Genesis International). I’ve used GNU/Linux for years because I like the politics/ethics and also the ability to customize, and I’ve participated in social and environmental community processes for years (I grew up in a city with dozens of petrochemical refineries, so the harm of that way of doing things was pretty obvious)… so the Fairphone initiative catches my interest in many ways. There’s still a ways to go before reaching my dream of a compostable (or even edible!) phone or computer (explained a little bit in this video), but the Fairphone and related efforts are where the rubber meets the road on this path.

I received a lightly used Fairphone 2 as a gift from a close friend in January, and I’ve almost migrated to use it as my full-time phone. I’m waiting to get the case replaced (following the instructions in this post) and for Android 6 to reach FP Open. I live about one kilometer from the ocean in a rainy part of Ecuador, and sometimes I use my phone to take photos while working on farms, so my Fairphone 2 will get tested for durability in a humid and slightly salty enviroment.

These days I collaborate with a campesino organization, a permaculture education project, and the AlterMundi community network collective. I showed how to take apart and reassemble my Fairphone and told some of the Fairphone story in an AlterMundi workshop at the Universidad Nacional del Litoral in Santa Fe, Argentina, in early May, and also at the Agroecology & Political School of a campesino organization here in Ecuador – it’s a great way to say “look, other ways of doing things aren’t just possible, we (humans) are already doing them!”

In AlterMundi, we want to start a conversation with Fairphone about the manufacturing and recycling of the LibreRouter, so please let me know who to get in touch with!

Happy to join the forum!
Pato

5 Likes

Welcome and bienvenido al foro! :wink:

I think you should best send a message to research [@] fairphone [.] com

My new FP2 has just arrived and I’m looking forward to migrating over to it in the coming days. As I type; the Android 6 update has arrived on it so I’ll shortly be taking it for a test drive and moving apps on to it.

I’m pleased to be able to support this type of ethical project. Hopefully this is the last phone that I buy for many years.

One concern I have is around the FP funding model; a one-time charge for lifetime support will eventually lose money and personally I would have been OK with the purchase price including 2 years of updates and a nominal charge (like e25/yr) for updates in subsequent years until the end of support in X years. I think that is fairer.

As I get to know the forum, I’ll find discussions along those lines and see what has already been discussed/decided.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @edanto!

We love new forum members with this approach! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Fairphoners! :slight_smile:

I am Daniel, and I have been the new Fairphone social media intern for about 6 weeks now. I am the successor of Kelly, if you had the chance to get to know her! I come from the boring part of Germany.

The forum isn’t exactly my domain, but since Douwe is not active at the moment, I will pop in every now and then and do things like moderating the AMA today (http://www.frphn.co/DRCAMA).

I started off with a Fairphone 1 Second Edition back in 2014 cheering about every step along the delivery route. It fell from dormitory staircases, I dumped it in my müsli, it survived it all, but in the end, it wouldn’t charge anymore since the cable would always fall out! :frowning: So it served me a solid 2,5 years.

In a nutshell: I am glad to be now posting in this community, one of the most publicly underestimated parts and ‘services’ Fairphone provides.

Read you around!

Best,
Daniel

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @anon99326380! Looking forward to see you around here. :slight_smile:

Was it the USB connector? That can more or less easily be repaired by a localrepairshop. (Had my own repaired almost a year ago. ;))

1 Like

Nice to meet you @anon99326380.

I come from the boring part of Germany.

There is a part in Germany more boring than all the others?! :open_mouth:
Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Servas aus dem Land der Schluchtenscheisser. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Julian, 28, from the sunniest part of Switzerland! :sunny: :grin:

After having owned a FP1 (first batch :warning:) for two years I unfortunately had to stop using it because of hardware problems! So, since January 2017 I’m the proud owner of a FP2 (which is at the moment being replaced due to hardware problems again! Guess I’m not the luckiest!)! Nonetheless, despite all the problems I’m extremely happy to be part of this community! One of my main concerns is sustainability and the environment and, besides voting during elections, the only way we have to do this is through our consumption habits! Fairphone has allowed me to “sustainabilise” (New word for the Oxford dictionary here? ;)) yet another area of my consumption! Furthermore, through all the troubleshooting, research and problems they have had, these phones actually allowed me to learn a lot about technology and online privacy/safety, and to develop an interest in informatics. So here I am, hoping to learn more and more of all you tech geeks, and get one step closer to becoming one myself at a time!

7 Likes

Hi from Austria and welcome to the forum, @Juulll ! :smiley:

You’ll find that many community members are no tech geeks whatsoever and there are interesting discussions about all kinds of topics. :blush:

1 Like

Salut à tous,

Moi c’est Gizmo, je viens de France et comme tout bon français mon anglais n’est pas très bon :sweat_smile: donc je préfère écrire dans la langue de Molière.

Je suis très intéressé par le projet (aussi bien techniquement que par sa philosophie général) que je surveille depuis quelques temps déjà. Je ne possède pas de smartphone mais le Fairphone sera mon premier smartphone.

J’attends beaucoup de FP3 et je suis heureux de rentrer dans cette grande famille.

Longue vie à ce fabuleux projet.

Giz

4 Likes

Bienvenue au forum, Gizmo! :slight_smile:

Hi Marco and Hi to the FP community,

First I’d like to take the chance to congratulate FP company and employees, this is really a great initiative and I hope that you will last.
I am a FP user, I bought it in Switzerland in one of the rare retailer ! Now I live in Brazil and I obviously do not see a lot of FP around me but I am asked a lot of questions when people see my FP
I sometimes read articles in the forum because let’s face it, FP has a lot of issues ;), good thing is that I resolved most of them by reading the useful contributions in the forum. Now I also want to contribute that’s why I just created an account today.

That what just a way to introduce myself,

Cheers - Olivier

10 Likes

That’s the spirit! :thumbsup:

Welcome. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello ! Greetings to all and to the Fairphone team. I am Leti from France, and I would like to buy a Fairphone, whether new or second-hand. I have been contemplating this purchase for several months and I’m now ready! It would really hurt me to buy any other brand actually.
However the pre-order takes soon long… :scream:
I’m also wondering why the posts proposing second-hand FP are closed only after 60 mn ?

5 Likes

Our moderators stated that every answer would appear in the list of latest topics. They find it disturbing. To avoid this, the topics are being closed. You should use private messages to contact the potential sellers/buyers. (Private messages should be used anyways, bank data and addresses don’t belong into the public.)