Weird power consumption (faulty battery?)

Dear Fairphone Team,

I am owning a “Fairbuds”, which I bought recently through your webshop. I have just done the firmware update to V56 today and gave it a spin during an online meeting. The device works well, but I have noticed, that the charge of the right fairbud was already dropped to 70%, while the left showed 100% still. (This was around a 45 minutes long meeting)

I was using the Fairphone app to check on the status. Is this a normal behaviour?

Regards,
norbert79

Just remind: the forum is a user forum and not official contact to the company

2 Likes

I know, but any experience or any comment might be helpful.

well my comment would be: just observe if thats a one time occurrence and if not report this to support. I guess hick-ups happen, as long as its once, I personally would not worry about it.

1 Like

Hey @norbert79
I had a similar issue on my first 1-2 charge cycles with my fairbuds.
This has just gone away with and now I don’t see the issue anymore.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your answers, I will keep on using them and depleting it also, to see how it reacts. If it doesn’t get better in the following months, I will get back to it.

Thank you.

1 Like

Feel free to come back to this thread even in a week, if the problem persists we can help you troubleshoot :slight_smile:

Hi @norbert79 ,

This is actually normal behaviour, and I can give you more context:

With (all) true wireless earbuds, there is always 1 earbud in the ‘Master’-role, and the other in ‘Slave’-role. The ‘Master’ is connected to both your phone and the other earbud. The ‘Slave’ is only connected to the ‘Master’. When in a ‘master’-role, the earbud will consume more power.

In normal usage, the earbuds switch roles when the charge difference between the 2 batteries becomes too large. During calls however, they do not switch roles, as it causes the microphone to temporarily drop. So especially after a long call, you might notice that the charge difference between the two earbuds can be significant.

So, no need to worry about whether or not your buds or the battery are faulty :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Dear Everyone,

I would like to thank you all for your reply, also thank you @BobVI for your detailed explanation, that helped a lot to understand how it works.

So far it seems, as said before, that the issue with the battery usage seems not being a problem anymore, and while because of the mostly meeting usage, the behaviour is as as described before.

Thank you all for your kind support!

Regards,
norbert79