Weird Charging Bug with FP3

Sometimes when it’s chraging it just stops. It still display’s the little charging battery symbol and my battery app also says it’s charging, but the percentage won’t go up. Unplugging and replugging fixes this, but it still has me worries. Anyone know what to do about this?

Have you tried a different cable?
Do you use the Fairphone charger or a different one?

Make sure the cable you use is USB-IF certified, if possible … Charging speed problems? Use USB-IF certified cables!.

I don’t think it’s IF certified, but I have not had this issue with my friend’s phone (Samsung a30s) using the same cable. Also the issue doesn’t come up immedietly. It usually charges as normal for the first 15-ish percent. Only then does the charging issue appear. It’s also not a huge deal, but it does have me worried about the effects it may have on my battery’s health.

1 Like

That shouldn’t be a problem, quick charging does more damage as it uses a higher voltage. Just ensure the battery doesn’t stay below 10% for too long. The optimum max voltage for charging is around 4.2V but I notice my FP3 gets to 4.4V when fully charged. So in theory for battery longevity it is better to stop charging at 90% and not let it discharge to less than 40%. I try to keep to 30% to 96% but I’m not overly diligent.

You can check the battery status, whilst charging or not via dialling *#*#66#*#* on the dial pad which will bring up the service menu.
Then select Test Single > Battery Status check

Here is a graph of State of charge/discharge. From that I would range the usage from 96% to 19% as more than reasonable. Li ion batteries are fine anywhere between so some people may keep the battery between a narrower range to extent the batteries life.

li-discharge

1 Like

Dang, that’s a lot of usefull information! Thanks a lot! My phone charges fine apart from thar weird quirk from time to time. Luckily I already was aware of the optimal charging precentages. Still, the voltage part is new to me. Thanks again!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.