WeAreFairphone on Mastodon

Have any more local Fairphone communities joined Mastodon by now?

I am about to finally do so for aachen.fairphone.community and am undecided which instance to join. I understand I can still change the instance later, but it would not be the most helpful thing to keep doing so (especially for those who want to find us through other places – would have to keep changing the information there).

I would just be interested to see if there is already some sort of cluster of Fairphone Angels or communities on Mastodon. It wouldn’t hurt to link up there as well (you can see I haven’t really got a clue yet :blush: ).

If you don’t mind, feel free to post your local community account here.

2 Likes

most of the time it doesn’t matter which instance you join, as they’re all interoperable (unless an admin of an instance specifically blacklists another one from federating with it).

Anyway, for a start:

5 Likes

I wonder if it’s time to delete the Twitter account of WeAreFairphone…

It still has about twice as many followers compared to the Mastodon account. But interaction is almost non-existent, the number of impressions per month is around 600 (single popular posts in the past had reached more than 10k for comparison) and it recently loses 50-100 followers per month (I guess as people leave Twitter, not because of the account, but that’s just a guess).

8 Likes

Fairphone Community Aachen recently decided to donate a few Euros to our Mastodon instance nrw.social (we have some modest local community funds mainly resulting from hardware donations from a local community member). I’m regarding this as our annual contribution for 2022, so I calculated it on a fixed monthly “rate”.

Fairphone Community Aachen’s (8 months old) Mastodon account now has more followers than our Twitter (57 months) and Instagram (12 months) accounts, but I will keep all three accounts for the time being – last but not least because it is quite apparent that each reaches a different audience, and as I think we cannot afford to no longer be able to profit from the official Fairphone account’s scope on the commercial networks (by way of being retweeted by Fairphone).

2 Likes

End of this month the crossposter bot for the company account will close down.
So I no longer need to tell people they won’t get any response when they comment a toot :wink:

The question is, will that lead to a proper presence on Mastodon / the fediverse as a whole, or is it just going to become dormant? :thinking:

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t bring this up before … but I guess your question will be something to bring up again once this vacancy is filled: Social Media and Community Manager - Fairphone

2 Likes

Hello everyone! :sparkles:

Who created and has access to the Mastodon account? Please reach out through email asap

Thanks a lot!

3 Likes

I’ll email you right away on this with my (and @Ingo’s ) guess.

My impression is that it’s time to move the community account to another instance as social.weho.st seems to be somewhat unmaintained and lately the number of posts that never show up in the timeline of the community account - even when directly searching for them with their full URL - has increased significantly. And as the old company account has been defunct for months, there’s no reason to stay at the same instance, either (the reason why I picked it initially).

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a mastodon instance to move to? Ideally it should be about some of the core topics of Fairphone (sustainability, fairtrade, working conditions), get updated reasonably (weho.st is still on a version that doesn’t allow editing posts) and have good moderation so it isn’t blocked or silenced by other instances.

6 Likes

Having joined Ingo in running the account around two months ago, I just want to say that this is something that we both fully agree on. :+1:

3 Likes

If you are willing to pay a subscription fee (which is partially used to plant trees), then mastodon.green (or eu.mastodon.green) seems like the best option.

2 Likes

Is there any news on when there is going to be an official Mastodon profile?

The only one that comes to mind:

Waag also has ties to Fairphone, as you can see below. Their instance is semi closed, you have to ask for an invite. And the main language seems to be Dutch now. But I don’t think they mind English content at all. They have an international team and their events are often in English as well.

Their mission:

Waag Futurelab contributes to the research, design and development of a sustainable, just society

• By collectively researching emerging technology, and questioning underlying cultural assumptions;
  • By experimenting with and designing alternatives on the basis of public values;
  • By developing an open, fair and inclusive future together with civil society.
2 Likes

As the community we can only guess. For the moment I don’t see the company joining the fediverse in the near future.

Don’t get me wrong, I personally think it’s a good idea if they joined. Alas, nothing we have direct influence on.

2 Likes

I can give you an invite link to https://climatejustice.global
It’s a well maintained and moderated instance, if I say so myself. :smiley:

Hit me up on the Fediverse if you want the invite link, as I’m not often online here in the forum.

PS: Or how about we create fairphone.social for the whole community?

3 Likes

Oh no sorry I think folks are mis-understanding my question - I would like Fairphone to set up a profile, not a server…

I’m on Mastodon already (Danny Garside (@da5nsy@social.coop) - social.coop :wave:) - I’d just like to be able to follow updates from Fairphone on there (akin to how I would follow https://twitter.com/Fairphone if Twitter hadn’t become a flaming pile of ****).

I genuinely think it strongly misaligns with the values that I associate with Fairphone that they continue to have a presence on Twitter…

(I got a new* FP3 yesterday and am refusing to sign into Twitter on it)

*new to me