Way to root Lineage after installation

Hi there,

I’ve installed Lineage (Android 12 - 19-20230220-NIGHTLY-FP3) after recieving my new FP3 some years ago.

But i’m actually looking to made call record work on this phone, and the app told me that i need root acces to this phone. Actually every records is empty.

I’ve actually try to do it following this turorial, but even if everything look ok, when i reboot after all, root verifier told me that i’m not.

i’ve tried to follow magisk instructions, but i really don’t get what i exactly have to do to get that boot.img from lineage.

Is there other ways?

Thanks for help.

Hi, download the LOS image to your computer, and get payload-dumper-go (GitHub - ssut/payload-dumper-go: an android OTA payload dumper written in Go), then you can extract the boot.img (e.g. payload-dumper-go -p boot lineage-19.1-20230220-nightly-FP3-signed.zip)

If you don’t have already, get twrp also (Fairphone 3).

Then, transfer boot.img to the device (adb push boot.img /storage/emulated/0/Download), go into the magisk app, say install to file, select boot.img and have it patched.
Get this back on your computer: adb pull /storage/emulated/0/Download/magisk… (you have to check the chosen file name).

Then reboot into bootloader: adb reboot bootloader, temporarily boot twrp: fastboot boot twrp-3.7.0_9-0-FP3.img, and if twrp is there put the patched boot image on the device, e.g. adb push magisk… /cache
Then start a shell on twrp: adb shell and flash the boot image: dd if=/cache/magisk…,. of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot

Then you can reboot and your devices should be rooted.
Don’t forget to setup magisk according your needs, especially the actions required to really grant root if requested

3 Likes

Unfortunately bad news:
I tried this call recorder a year ago (on FP3+) and also many others, incl root, none worked
In some countries there is the recording function directly in the telephony app, but mostly not

More about call recording…

@lklaus Thanks for this very precise answere, i’ll try this as fast as i can.

@d2w Did you find finally find a way to record your call? They are talking about a built in solution on older versions, i’ve never heard of it. Maybe it’s possible to downgrade.

I am in Austria, and can start the recording directly from the telephony app, but automatically recording every call is not possible.
I have the FP3 since a year, and installed LOS 11 on it right away, other call recorders did never work on it, whether it worked with earlier LOS version I don’t know.

Here is a list of countries in which the telephony app has the recording function:

Here is another screenshot: “Aufnahme” means recording

1 Like

:smile: just did it a few hours ago with the update and could copy it from one of my terminal windows

1 Like

@d2w Oh yes! Not that easy to acces to the file in the call history, but it’s working!
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.