Wallpaper and style’ setting (Material You) missing in FP4 version of Android 12?

Answered already, I think? (I wrote “12” i the meaning of “not 12L”:

Android one and price (140€) would let me think that there wasn’t any backporting but I didn’t check the visible differences for the older phone yet.
Newer phone is definitively Android 12 (not 12L)- just like FP4 with stock and latest update.

You wrote that there’s no difference in how 12 and 12L display their version number, so unless I’m missing something, how do you know which version those 2 phones are running? :thinking:

There are very small differences in user interface for 12 and 12L for example:
imageimageimage
(12L has a switch to disable the double line clock)

(Pics from the yt link posted in #105, checked several sources and they’re consistent regarding the differences)

Monet got added into Android12 with QPR3 (12 months ago)
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/refs/heads/android12-qpr3-release/packages/SystemUI/monet/

1 Like

Makes sense :+1:

Yeah, as I said …

… Google published the code of monet at the same time they released A12L (in March 2022), I don’t get your point :thinking:

Anyways, since your phones are clearly not running A12L but are using monet with additional options, there doesn’t seem to be a limitation imposed by Google to only ship that with A12L. Thanks for confirming it :slightly_smiling_face:

So this could all be on the FP4 as well, it just isn’t :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I just updated Fairphone 4, I noticed that the menu color is terrible,and different than before. How do I set the color myself, without changing the wallpaper?

Please change the UI theming color based on an average of the wallpaper color. I love my wallpaper selections, but I want to select the color used for my UI experience. The user should be able to opt in to this experience. Give the user the option to select the color from a color wheel as well. As it is, it makes my phone feel less like it is mine. Please change this. For the commenters saying that this is an upstream change to Android, yes and no. This is a change in upstream Android, but it gives the user the option to change the color chosen by default. This is located under Settings → Wallpaper & style. In FP4.SP28.B.065.20230420, we are provided with Wallpaper, but no style setting.

In upstream android, in Wallpaper & style, it gives extra options to choose different averages for the color sets used for the UI, but also another option is given. Users can select Basic Colors, which simply allows users to choose from a color set that will work with the Dark/Light themes.

Please give Fairphone users these options. I do not want some ugly calculated average. I want choice. That’s a big reason I bought my Fairphone!

These are the examples of the stock android experience.
Default screens for Android

3 Likes

Hi and welcome.
First off this is a user forum you are not communicating with Fairphone, to do that open a support ticket from the main site or email them support@fairphone.com

Secondly this feature is a default Android 12 one and is not down to Fairphpone.

1 Like

First off, I know this is a forum and what that means. I did submit a support ticket and I suggest everyone else who doesn’t like this Fairphone software design implementation to do the same. There are many. I’m using all outlets.

Second off, I described in detail how Fairphone selected to implement certain aspects of the feature from Android 12 and not the whole feature.

Jeez the level of condescension.

1 Like

Yes and this was already the case in the previous version. There was an error in the initial announcement which led us to expect that the settings would be accessible but they’re not, as you have observed.

What has changed, reportedly, is that if you use a third-party app to make changes, those changes stay valid (which I believe was not the case before).

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. This is very helpful. I am hoping that the Android 12 style setting makes it in the hopper for subsequent updates.

Cheers.

HOW, on earth, can I change the accent color after this new update? This is the only thing I want to know, why is this so difficult to answer???

1 Like

If you would be so good as to read around (see also here ), you will see that a possibility is to use a third-party app such as Repainter.

There is currently a bug which is making the Settings for accent colour unavailable.

Yes, thats it… :slight_smile:

Da steht sogar “Freitag, 12. Mai” was korrekt ist von der deutschen Schreibweise her.
Mein Telefon stellt es so dar: “Freitag, Mai 12”

1 Like

Agree, I have an awfull pink orange color at this moment. I want it to go back to the lovely blue I had

1 Like

Absolutely terrible idea to ship this with no way to turn it off and no way to customize the color other than changing your whole wallpaper.

If you’re gonna hide bad changes like this is in updates with security updates you’re gonna make people not want to update, that’s dangerous.

It doesn’t matter if this change is technically from stock android, you shipped it and you did this to your users.
Switch to Android 12L if that’s what’s necessary, don’t push half assed stuff on us please.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Who’s hiding what and I see you have complained with the same tone elsewhere although this may have preceded the other.

This is a user forum and not a way to communicate with Fairphone, your rudeness in this topic is therefore just pushed in the face of other users.

Although you will no doubt have people agree with you that the [Material you] may not be to everyone’s taste, I don’t like it but the ‘us’ is over dramatic as is your tone.

I’ve worked with it and it was just the first few days of disruption I encountered, not something I would expect Fairphone to bother with

The ‘duplicate’ post in the other topic may well be read by Fairphone as they are the creator of the topic

3 Likes

I appreciate that you want to keep it civil and don’t care about the issue but your tone is very condescending which I don’t appreciate.

Just because you don’t view it as a serious issue doesn’t mean it’s not to other people, please let people express their frustrations and comment on the issue.

4 Likes

I get it, for the first few hours I was like ‘wtf’ and sure I know other people have voiced their displeasure.

Secondly I’m not asking you to be polite, I’m just pointing out that your tone isn’t a pleasant read and the best it can do is to let people know you are unhappy, but apart from relating to how upset you are what response do you expect or would you rather be ignored. If the later why post a provocative comment ???

3 Likes

For me it is totally contradictory that Fairphone has a forum, also posts information about an update and also wants to hear feedback in the forum and at the same time you claim that Fairphone is not reading along here, although there is also a forum officer? How weird is that?
If Fairphone doesn’t follow along, they’re not doing themselves any favors. You should urgently react to what is posted here by a large number of users. You gamble away the trust you have earned.

3 Likes