Using Sailfish OS on the FP2 - Experiences and Issues

Not right now as anbox on UT is early alpha and doesn’t even have hardware access to camera etc. It crashes frequently and lots of apps don’t even start.

2 Likes

As mentioned above it is a third-party, proprietary technology.

Sailfish is based on Mer, like Android is based on AOSP.

The Sailfish UI is closed-source. For Sailfish and Android I am not sure how much % is FOSS and closed source, but it is hybrid (even though both might be FOSS in the minds of people).

Calling iOS and Windows hybrid is a bit of a stretch. They’re almost exclusively proprietary.

You may port Sailfish to your platform, but then you don’t get certain features such as Android emulation and customer support. When you pay for a license, it is for X years of support. In that way, it is more like the traditional model of proprietary software. But it is honest about it, upfront, instead of you being the product. The powerful thing of Sailfish is arguably that you pay for it and keep your privacy, and that you get a slick UI with powerful gesture support.

Honestly, when I get my FP3, I am looking forward playing around with Sailfish on my FP2 for a while.

2 Likes

Addendum:

Jolla is rather upfront about what exactly is FOSS and what is proprietary.

3 Likes

If I can’t use Android Apps on a Sailfish FP2, than it’s not an alternative for me… Some apps I use are surely not on Sailfish. But perhaps I’ll try it just to see how it works.

Maybe /e/ then is for you, they can use any app from F-Droid :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.