USB port for charger not working

My phone stopped charging today. I have tried a few different chargers and electrical sockets but the lightning flash which shows on the battery icon is not showing when I plug a charger in. Can anyone help please?

Mine also stopped charging about the same time last night. I wonder if it might be due to some app update about that time? At least, that’s when I plugged in and nothing happened.
I use an old HTC charger most of the time, or plug into two computers or a car and have never had problems with them or the various cables so I am sure it is not a charger/cable issue. I’ve had the phone 6 months and always thought the battery lasts pretty well for my usage.

In fact I am not sure whether it is charging or not — it said it was at 35% last night, and 12 hours later it is still working OK. At first it showed no sign of charging but I have restarted a few times and now it is flashing the red LED once every 5-6 seconds; the lockscreen says it’s charging; the “lightning bolt” icon is on but the battery settings screen says it’s not charging. Here’s a screenshot.

It is now 2 hours since I took that screenshot; now it has exactly the same usage percentages (which seems very unlikely) but the graph has advanced and shows I’ve been at 0% for two hours — also very unlikely. Meanwhile everything appears to be working normally, it is obviously getting power from somewhere but unclear where.

I have the OpenSource system but have used root powers very little and usually have root access disabled. All I have used it for are to install the minimal Gapps, Titanium Backup and Xposed Framework with GravityBox. I have disabled GravityBox to see if that helps … nope.

30 mins later the phone died. I left it plugged in and after a few minutes it buzzed and showed the charging screen… so something is happening some of the time. (?!)

I found that with or without battery installed it would get into a loop of trying to start and giving up. It seems like it’s getting some power but not enough so I dismantled the phone and removed the module with the power socket (& microphone & loudspeaker). Cleaned it with microfibre cloth though it didn’t really appear to be dirty except a few bits of dust.
Reassembled and it appears to be behaving normally again.

So, in the end, it seems it was just a poor connection of the module. I hope this helps someone else. It seems there could be a lot of problems like this caused by bad connections or dust getting in somewhere. I have already had to clean out my proximity sensor a couple of times.

I’ve kept my phone off for most of the day, as I am reading that customer service is slow. Have logged a service request though, as the phone was only delivered earlier this year!

Thanks for your response - I’ll try letting the battery run itself down completely.

I haven’t taken the phone apart as am not confident and also don’t have the tiny screwdriver!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.