Usb charger making sparking sound when unplugging

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Did you read the above posts? It seems some have contacted Fairphone and received a new cable, although this hasn’t in all cases completly resolved the issue.

You may be better of contacting support|at|fairphone|dot|com

1 Like

Hi amoun, thanks!

Yes I read the posts in this thread. I was referring to the last post before mine by @vorax. They have contacted support and are waiting to hear from them. I wanted to know whether the support team already came back to them with answer.

Best,
delexi

2 Likes

Hi!

Sorry I forgot to share their last answer (27.02.22) :

"This is a small update to assure you that we are investigating the cause of this problem.

In the meantime, I suggest that you use a different cable and allow us a bit of time to come up with a solution."

You should contact them so they know how many people are affected by this issue.

5 Likes

Hi, I got an FP4 and the Fairphone USB-C cable about a month ago and I have the same noise when I unplug the cable (also noticed it when unplugging the USB-A adaptor).
So I guess I should also reach out to Fairphone to let them know that another user has that issue.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think so and ensure you mentioned the make of both the cable and the charger as not everyone complains of such.

All the best.

1 Like

Alright ! Thank you for the specifics.

1 Like

I have a brand new FP4, and it’s really nice :slight_smile: I’m using the durable USB C charging cable, but when I remove the cable from the phone, there’s a sizzling sound of electricity. The phone is charging ok, but I’m a bit worried about what this may lead to in the longer run. Any advice?

Welcome to the forum.

I moved your post here as you seem to be having the same issue. Of course you’re welcome to discuss this further if above posts don’t answer your question.

4 Likes

Hi, I can confirm the same issue with the USB-C 3.2 Long Life Cable as described by many people in this thread (electrical cracking noise when unplugging it).

For future reference, here are the serial numbers if anyone wants to match (back of the paper wrapping, above the barcode):
000-0046-000000-0003 FPJUL2021_04
USB-C 3.2 CABLE v1

One crucial thing I need to add to the previous reports: I also experienced data corruption with this cable. When I transfered pictures from my FP4 via USB some of them ended up corrupted on my PC, they were perfectly intact while on device.

I bought the cable with a local retailer which already already made me return the first one and sent me another one, unfortunately the second one has the exact same issues. I will now return this as well and get a refund. I did email them exact descriptions of the problem as well to forward them to Fairphone. The retailer has now completely removed the cable from his shop.

A quick note to Fairphone, if any employee involved with production is reading this:

I think to distribute such a cable is absolutely unacceptable. You should seriously consider improving your QM / QC on the production side. People include me are really concerned about damaging their device by using such a cable and therefore will not use it.

Yes, I’m willing to pay more for sustainable, repairable produces, but I’m not willing to pay for a product like this cable which ultimately will end up in the trash. I chose Fairphone in order to commit myself to reduce electronic waste for the future, but with products like this cable you as a company are not any better as other non-sustainable companies. From reading all the reports in this thread, I highly assume that there is minimum a whole batch of those broken cables, hence you just produced a completely unnecessary pile of electronic waste here. I sincerely hope you will learn from this case.

Can someone record this sound? I’ve never heard it, I think. Also using the longevity cable.

1 Like

I tried, but mine apparently stopped producing that sound, huh :man_shrugging:

Were those pictures on an SD card that was inserted in the FP4 :thinking:
I did notice some rather concerning quirks with the overlay filesystem some time ago.

I can’t say that I have experienced any data corruption with that cable in the 100+ times I have flashed the two FP4 I have access too and all my partition backups always went fine, no hashes changed, nothing.

Sorry, that would not be me, I already returned it.

Actually yes, the pictures were on external SD card. I was using the card already on a Samsung phone with no issues before I switched to the FP4. There is some strange behaviour to that: Not initially but some weeks after I started using the FP4 with that card it once gave me the notification that the SD card cant be detected, but after I rebooted it was fine again and ever since. I’m thinking about reformatting the whole card on the FP4, maybe there is some incompatibility raising from the fact that it was already used on a other device, dunno.

How do you manage to check the hashes of your files, is there a mechanism for that?

So to set the record straight, regarding data corruption it could also relate to SD card issues, I simply cant prove nor disprove that it was the cable or something else. I also don’t have the resources to systematically test cables for issues, that’s the QM’s job or maybe of some independent professional hardware reviewer. Still, the electrical noice issue with the cable persits.

Did you get a replacement and does that one exhibit the same behaviour…

…sounds like it? :thinking:

You can use md5sum or one of the more advanced hashing functions…

…for example like that (on Linux)
foo@bar:~$ adb shell md5sum /sdcard/Download/DO_KW19.pdf
16569944996cf44430e6b64516565ac1  /sdcard/Download/DO_KW19.pdf
foo@bar:~$ adb pull /sdcard/Download/DO_KW19.pdf
/sdcard/Download/DO_KW19.pdf: 1 file pulled, 0 skipped. 106.1 MB/s (20301691 bytes in 0.182s)
foo@bar:~$ md5sum DO_KW19.pdf 
16569944996cf44430e6b64516565ac1  DO_KW19.pdf

As you can see the file has the same MD5 hash after being transferred to the PC as it had on the phone.
If you are on Windows you’ll find more information how to do it here.

Yes, that’s the second one already that I returned. I wont go for a third one, the store completely removed it, anyway :wink: But actually, I’m still eager to find a sustainable USB-C cable which both has a USB-C to A adapter on one side and supports USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 speed. Those kind of cables are quite rare as of now but hopefully not for the future when USB-C plugs and FP4 devices are more commonly distributed :slight_smile:

I get the idea, but maybe I will PM you to elaborate, if that’s ok for you and to keep this thread on-topic :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

I just had a conversation with support and got these instructions to test the cable:

"I kindly ask you to give us more time to investigate this. As soon as we have any news, we will make sure to immediately communicate it directly to you.

In the meantime, it would be great if you could test the following:

1. Remove the battery from phone.
  2. Unplug the cable from the charger.
  3. Plug the cable into the phone’s USB C port only.
  4. Hold the power button for a few seconds.
  5. Lastly, remove the cable and see if there is the crackling sound. Repeat a few times by plugging it into the phone and removing it.

Do you still hear a crackling sound under these conditions? Please let us know!

If the noise still persists you can rest assured that it is not an electrical issue and will not damage the phone. No matter the result we are still investigating and looking to solve the problem for certain."

In my case, the sound was persistent and I’ve also tried other devices, without power on, and had the same result. My conclusion at this point is that the plug is slightly oversized, and the sound comes from friction between the phone and the plug.

3 Likes

Like I’ve written in this post, I think the noise is caused by retaining pins.

After having used the cable for about 6 months now on a daily basis, I can report that the crackling sound is pretty much gone. The sound of unplugging is still different to the Nokia cable but it sounds ‘normal’ in contrast to the noise it made some months ago.

1 Like

Ouch. This comment is a hard blow in my face.
I added that ‘sustainable long-life’ cable, for the sake of ‘long-life’. Plus I thought having a fast high-power charger (20/30W for 5/10 V)

Both the cable and the FP4 are brand new, I just touched them.

But indeed, that cable + the 20W charger, heated the phone too much, while hardly charging it.

Back to the 4 or 5 year old cable and charger that came with the Samsung phone charge the FP4 a lot faster, AND it doesn’t heat up.

Did I got faulty hardware?
LL cable + other charger: slow also. Didn’t check the 20W charger on the old phone, though.

(the old phone doesn’t get updates any more for Android9, that was the only good reason to want the FairPhone)

But so it might be ONLY the cable?

Have you contacted support :slight_smile: there’s a two year warranty on the cable but it looks like you may have a duff one to crash this early.

1 Like

If you charge the phone with a fast charging compatible cable using a fast charging compatible charger (the official Fairphone 30W one?) it will get quite warm. But it also should be charged quite fast. I did manage to achieve the advertised (almost) 0% → 50% in half an hour with that combination.

If that’s not the case you should contactsupport as @anon9989719 already said.

2 Likes

I didn’t contact support -yet.
But yes, as it did this at first use, it can be considered DOA dead on arrival.
Will contact them.

Or not. Because today there was no problem.

I re-tested

• Old charger + old cable : OK for both phones

• Old charger + new cable : OK for both phones

• New charger + old cable : OK for both phones

• New charger + new cable : OK for both phones

And the ‘new cable’ works on both USB-A and USB-C

One extra check and everything works?

Did I have dirt in a connector, in the A-C click-on part, …

Anyhow, I am glad this hardware is not DOA.
Still re-configuring the new phone.

1 Like