USB-Cable from Fairphone broke after less than a year

Hello,

last year I bought the Fairphone 4 with the proprietary charger and charging cable. After the use of less than one year the USB-A-charging-end bend so much that it no more delivers power to my phone.

I find this half ironic. The complete focus on not destroying the cable coating (it did not tear), Fairphone introduced a new vulnerability. Because the cable coat is so thick, it puts a lot of strain on the port, which does not let the cable last longer than standard cheap ones. I hope Fairphone rethinks their cable design.

2 Likes

First of all wow, I didnā€™t think this thing could be destroyed by anything less than a nuclear blastā€¦ :dizzy_face:

Seriously now, youā€™re right, Iā€™ve noticed that too, and this is indeed an issue, the cable itself is so rigid it puts a strain on the connector(s).
Which is why I fell back to a normal cable for everyday charging, to avoid my FP4ā€™s USB port getting damaged over time. I keep the Fairphone cable for trips and such, where it has the undeniable advantage that a) you canā€™t overlook and forget it, and b) there is no question about who this cable belong to. And you can use it to tow your car if it breaks downā€¦ :grin:

That been said, I donā€™t think Fairphone designed it. They probably bought the design of-the-shelf and just branded it. There are lots of different extra-strong, Kevlar-clad, bulletproof USB-C cables out there (I have 2), and they all have the same rigidity problem. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

At least it is still under warranty, so I think you will receive a new one if you contact support :slight_smile:
But the irony is indeed thereā€¦

I have zero advice to give in your suggestion. Maybe contact the place you bought it and check if the warranty applies?

I buy my cables from IKEA of all places. They cost a quarter of other cables and they are nigh-indestructible.

Have the same issue, only worse.

On pulling out the USB-A plug from an iPhone charger, it ripped right off. A close inspection reveals that extremely little solder had been applied there and that the outer ā€˜fringesā€™ that were soldered to the adapter body have been designed very short. Not much mechanical resilience here; given the long lever of the usb-C-plug-cum-C2A-adapter, this would have required a more sturdy construction.

My FP4 has seen very light use; I arrived in mid-April 2022 and not use for 1/2 year before I started using it occasionally (until I finally found the time now to ditch the iPhone for good).

I have contacted support for a replacement today and hope for a replacement.

4 Likes

Same here - broke after a couple of weeksā€¦

It was supplied by Your Co-op in UK - I guess I need to take it up with them. Very disappointing and tedious!

1 Like

Support has sent me a replacement, I should have mentioned here long ago.

As a general remark, this design with long plug plus adapter makes a long lever that translates every tug at the cable into higher momentum than with the usual short plugs. The solder suffers more strain and will come loose eventually. I fear there are many failures of this kind coming.

2 Likes

Yes, judging from the pictures above itā€™s clearly a very cheap & cheerful construction: The plugā€™s metallic part should be much longer, cover all the internal connectivity (shielding) and ideally be crimped to the cable in the back. In Fairphoneā€™s cable itā€™s clearly only a small add-on part, only held in place (temporarily) by those two little ā€œearsā€ on the side.

(Here is an article illustrating quality differences in USB-C cables (Ars Technica).)

2 Likes

What would an Apple quality cable be at Fairphone pricing? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

We had a FP cable but it didnā€™t resist some force.

Mine is dead too, after less than 2 years. :frowning_face:
ā€œLong lifeā€ they saidā€¦

I buy all of my cables at IKEA. They look virtually identical to the Fairphone cables except they actually last for years.

Iā€™ve gotten the impression that IKEA is environmentally friendly, too.