Upgrades to the camera and top

Hi

I have a Fairphone 3 which is brilliant but I want to upgrade the camera. I see 2 options to upgrade for the 3 - the camera and the top module. But the top module comes with an upgrade to the selfie camera as well. I just want to clarify that these modules do two separate roles and I am not duplicating if I buy both upgrades.

Thanks

Rich

Welcome to the Community :+1:

Yes, both modules do different things, there’s no duplication.
But the improvement in main (rear) camera picture quality by this hardware upgrade is much smaller than the improvement from using a different camera app. Especially the (free) inofficial GCam app is our (i.e. the community’s) usual recommendation:

This is a very, very frequent discussion in this forum, so you might want to follow up in the topic above if you have questions regarding GCam.

5 Likes

Additionally this topic may be helpful. Upgrading does not give you a four times better experience since the image sensor is not really changing in size and the hardware is already merging the pixels together. There are improvements, but as @urs_lesse said, not as big ones as it may seem at a first glimpse.

2 Likes

Just to help explain the 4 x 12Mps

1 Like

Wow thanks. That was a full and expected answer and much appreciated. I will get hold of the new app. I want to ask a different question about the whole operating system that has arisen because of the answer. However, I will go for a search and see if the forums answer that question.

Once again my thanks.

Rich

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.