Updater process ended with signal: 7 with latest twrp

Hi guys,
I really need your help. I try to install latest lineageos (lineage-17.1-20201030-nightly-FP2-signed.zip) with twrp-3.4.0-0-FP2.img.
I am using adb sideload lineage-17.1-20201030-nightly-FP2-signed.zip) from ubuntu 20.04 LTS machine. I get following error:
Updater process ended with signal: 7 with latest twrp
Error indicates something is wrong with my lineage zip file or twrp img.

Btw. I did a format and advanced wipe. I am running out of ideas.
Maybe someone can help.
Thank you.

Did you hash the file before sideloading it?
You could try:

• trying again
  • downloading TWRP again and flashing it from fastboot
  • downloading the lineage file again and installing it again

Otherwise a quick internet search offers this link, check the second known error, they suggest flashing the modem files (but itā€™s for an OTA update, so it doesnā€™t really correspond):

and this link (seems more like your problem):

Searching for ā€œerror 7 twrpā€ on the forum offers quite a few results, canā€™t say how useful they can be though.

:warning: Donā€™t do things you donā€™t understand, or ask questions about them before, particularly from internet links

Thank you alex. I did indeed research and I already know the meaning of error 7. I thought maybe someone can confirm above mentioned files are working or maybe an older twrp version is working. I already tried different files from lineageos.
Updater script does look like this:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "FP2" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "FP2" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: FP2; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););
        ui_print("Target: Fairphone/FP2/FP2:6.0.1/FP2-gms-18.04.1/FP2-gms-18.04.1:user/release-keys");
        package_extract_dir("install", "/tmp/install");
        set_metadata_recursive("/tmp/install", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0644);
        set_metadata_recursive("/tmp/install/bin", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0755);
        run_program("/tmp/install/bin/backuptool.sh", "backup", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "ext4");
        ui_print("Patching system image unconditionally...");
        show_progress(0.900000, 0);
        block_image_update("/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", package_extract_file("system.transfer.list"), "system.new.dat.br", "system.patch.dat") ||
          abort("E1001: Failed to update system image.");
        show_progress(0.020000, 10);
        run_program("/tmp/install/bin/backuptool.sh", "restore", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "ext4");
        package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot");
        show_progress(0.100000, 10);
        set_progress(1.000000);

I am not sure how to edit the file. Is it enough to comment out assert line?

1 Like

You might also try out another way: copy the lineage-zip file to your FP2 (while youā€™re in the recovery and the FP2 is connected via USB, ubuntu should mount the SD card - and ext. SD card if one is installed) and use the install function in TWRP to install it.

2 Likes

Thats how far I get with assertion deleted:
adb sideload lineage-17.1-20201030-nightly-FP2-signed.zip
serving: ā€˜lineage-17.1-20201030-nightly-FP2-signed.zipā€™ (~2%) adb: failed to read command: Success

thank you Volker somehow it is strange: ubuntu is mounting and unmounting the phone all the time. I can not access it.

This might be related. Maybe thereā€™s a problem with the USB data connection. Possibly adb also fails (e.g. at 2%) because USB connection is not stableā€¦

4 Likes

Trying to copy zip file to FP2 with following command in cli:
cp lineage-17.1-20201030-nightly-FP2-signed.zip /run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp:host=Fairphone_Fairphone_2_a238c01e/
cp: failed to access ā€˜/run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp:host=Fairphone_Fairphone_2_a238c01e/ā€™: Permission denied

Volker you are my man. After 7 hours and a little bit of desperation you saved my night. I used a hama cable, obviously only good for charging. ARRRRRgggghh.
Thanks a lot and have good night.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.