Update of Android

Hi all

I see in the topics of the forum fom time to time that you have received an update of Android dated September

On my FP3, when, I go to “Sytem => Update System”

I see that my version is dated : 1 August 2019

I connect the FP3 on Internet and clic on “Search for updates” : a little blue line appears and after a few seconds it disappears saying
Last version : 1 August 2019

What have I missed ?

1 Like

I don’t have any info about how the updates are being distributed, but I did manage to update my phone to the latest version the other week (patch level 5th Sept 2019).

There could be a couple of reasons why the update isn’t coming through, but this might not be anything you can control. One reason could be that the update has been pulled. I have flagged up an issue to support already as it’s labelled both my network providers incorrectly as being Sky (Sky is an MVNO running on the O2 network and even the O2 network is being labelled as Sky now). I’ve also flagged an audio issue, and I don’t know if this is hardware or software related (waiting for a response from support).

Hope that helps some.

2 Likes

Could also be a “staged rollout” again (earlier example on the Fairphone 2). This way not everybody would get the update immediately.

It would, of course, help to get some official info on the update from Fairphone in time.

Were you online through Wi-Fi or through your mobile data connection? I don’t know if FP3 updates are distributed through mobile data connections. Are the updates full updates or incremental ones again?

1 Like

I was on Wifi to install, so I can’t say if it is possible to install using a mobile data connection.

The update was about 250mb from memory, and I think from how it was installed it used A/B partitioning too - but I could be wrong about that.

1 Like

I did not had any update since I bought the FP3 in mid-september, exactly like @ Desiderius77.

I tried in 4G and Wifi, nothing works.

Same for me ; I have tried wth 4G+ and with WiFi but no update.

Is there an URL to specify somewhere to get the updates ?

Still no update on mine… Did you unlock the bootloader?

I did. No update so far.
Build number: 8901.2.A.0096.20191001
Security patch level: 5 September 2019

1 Like

It could be interesting to know if someone with bootloader unlocked had any update so far.

But - if I get it right - that’s the patch level of @Chris_R as well, who performed an update.
So you got the phone with the actual patch level already installed.
@Desiderius77 on the other hand seems to be stuck on patch level 1. August.
And there should be an update for him, to the next level.

Of course there should be an October or maybe even a November patch; if the monthly updates would work regularly. And would a staged rollout for the monthly update really be advisable to take more than three weeks?

2 Likes

That is the build/patch level I have.

As I’ve said all along, it is possible that this build was pulled. It seems that devices are still being issued with the old build (unless I’ve misunderstood) which again makes me believe that the above build was pulled for whatever reason. I don’t think this can be a staged rollout otherwise everyone would have received this by now. And as far as I’m aware, there has been no further update (I’ve checked regularly too).

All we can do is hypothesise in the absence of any official info from FP itself.

2 Likes

I received my FP3 4 days ago, and it also has Build 8901.2.A.0096.20191001 from September 5. If that was pulled, I’d expect the newest phones to have reverted to the previous version.

Then again, not every version that exists might result in an update. Maybe there’s “Install Images” (including the latest version of the default apps) and “Update Images”.

If that’s the case, it could be there’s a new install image for new phones more or less once a month, but new “Update images” are only deployed if a core component received a critical update that can not be installed through the App-Store. (Aka Kernel Update)

We will see :slight_smile:

How regularly can we expect security updates? Is there any official statement concerning Android 10 yet?

I received my phone with A.0095 installed and it offered the A.0096 update after enabling wifi. I did not install the update, but unlock my bootloader first (which does a full wipe) and was offered the A.0096 update again (not installed yet).

The update also reappears after clearing the data of com.google.android.gms so I do not think the update was pulled or that unlocking has any influence on the updater.

1 Like

Unknown as of now.

1 Like

I got the update :smiley:

2 Likes

which version exactly?

FP3_A.0096, so not super recent (security fix from 5 September), but at least it is not a problem with the unlocked bootloader.

3 Likes

There seems to be a new update, but sadly nothing major.

But now i suddenly have YTMusic on my phone. Any similar experiences?

5 Likes