Update Google Play Services without Google Account

Hi all,

after retiring my FP1 due to hardware issues earlier this year, I finally got my FP2 today! Yay! :slight_smile:

Update to latest FP OS version and installing apps (most of them via f-droid) worked fine so far, but to use Threema (push mode) it seems like I need a newer version of the Google Play Services.

Does anyone know how to update the Google Play Services without a google account?

Cheers, Matze

Yalp Store is your friend.

2 Likes

Here’s something related, partly also about getting push mode to work …

If you don’t have a Google account, you might want to consider using Fairphone Open OS (based on Fairphone OS, but rooted and stripped of Google services, officially supported by Fairphone) or LineageOS (based on Android 7.1 already, supported by the community), which in general give you more control over what’s on your phone and what’s not.

If you so choose, you could then install the Open GApps pico package for the Google Play things (if an update is needed, you would just download the current package again and install it), or you could try to emulate Google services with free software via microG.

In any case, if interested, have a look at respective forum topics first to get an impression of what to expect.

5 Likes

Thanks for your idea!
Indeed I switched to Fairphone Open OS and set Threema from push to
polling more than a year ago. So everything is perfect.

1 Like

Thank you for your ideas! :smile: I think I might try Fairphone Open OS over Xmas :smiley:

Thanks for your idea!
Indeed I switched to Fairphone Open OS and set Threema from push to
polling more than a year ago. So everything is perfect.

This topic was automatically closed after 182 days. New replies are no longer allowed.