Update from FP2 to FP3

Hi there - I have had a FP2 for a while now and there are a number of issues as explored elsewhere in this forum (battery, random restarts, microphone, display etc). I’m not complaining about these, they are rather expected in a phone of this age. I know I can try and tinker with each issue separately, but I don’t really have the time, skill or patience. I would prefer to upgrade to a FP3. Is there a good way to do this that includes reuse? After all, one of the promises is that FP is modular and easily upgradeable, but there doesn’t seem to be an obvious upgrade path? Sorry if I have missed something obvious.

There are no parts of the FP2 that can be reused in an FP3, if that’s what you’re asking.

You can get an FP3 with a €40 €75 discount if you give your old FP2 to Fairphone, or you can sell or give away your old phone to someone who needs it - those are your options, essentially.

3 Likes

So I find that we get 75 Euros in repayment when we recycle a FP2

That works for me (I would still like to be reassured that something useful happens to the materials!)

1 Like

The way I read it, the materials will partly be reused, but not the device as a whole. I wished Fairphone could recover sold out FP2 12 MP camera modules this way, but I doubt their recycling partner does that.

3 Likes

While I have no inside knowledge, I have to imagine they salvage parts before they ship the phones to the recycler. Cameras as you said, maybe motherboards. Old screens, bottom and top modules aren’t really refurbishable as they almost always have mechanical wear and tear.

I wouldn’t be the worst if FP sold working-but-clearly-used modules for a hefty discount, though. I guess it’s probably too much fuss to set something like that up?

1 Like

The problem with selling secondhand modules is the warranty.
Fairphone as a company has to give some warranty on secondhand goods.
And that creates a problem.
This was the reason that they couldn’t sell secondhand Fairphone 1 parts in the end.

3 Likes

They did sell refurbished FP2 though.

2 Likes

Yes, but that was a whole phone.
The costs for ‘refurbishing’ just one module and then selling with warranty are to high compared with a new module.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rebuying campaign FP2 → FP3?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.