Update 3.A.0129.20210805: Meta and side effect discussions

Well just stop replying to each other. You both seem like kids both wanting to have the last word.

Amoun you said yourself you so not have this issue. So it is easy for you to wax philosaphical. And you did apparently not think of all implications, like missed calls.

I already almost suffered nameable financial losses due to this bug. And other people also work on a by call basis. So yes we keep asking for updates on this and keep reporting the bug. Maybe the more people report it, directly naming consequences the more seriously this is being taken.

2 Likes

There maybe other scenarios I haven’t imagined too. One thing I do imagine is that quality control haven’t imagined every scenario on every network etc.

I wax philosophically about my own traumas too, and yes I get the kids comparison too, but it’s not an age issue or a generational one.

What else to do when someone streams their personal losses. I am not here to ignore people?

Of course unless you have a suggestion as to how I should respond take that as a rhetorical question.

But in regards to:

I don’t get or support the notion of we, you may want to define such a group.

Regarding the ‘keep asking’ I don’t see how it is going to help. I’m sure Fairphone have got the message and bombing them with more to read is going to take more time and upset them…

Transferring your upsettedness to Fairphone is what prompts my philosophical response as I don’t see you doing yourself, or selves if you prefer, any benefit unless you consider having your situation discussed more makes you feel better.

So whereas I agree with @Incanus regarding any software solution this does not imply you can’t voice your frustration, but then here we go . . .

There is a saying that you might want to consider

A shut mouth catches no flies.

There is absolutely no need that you respond to each and every tiny little comment. This is not helpful but just spamming/crowding posts, making it almost impossible to find the important parts.

And please do not respond to this, just think about it.

5 Likes

Yeap! Thought about not replying but changed my mind.

You could have sent a private message to me if you want my attention but you chose to make a public request that I change my behaviour, but I won’t respond to your personal insults I can handle that.

So, here we are … I moved some stuff from Software Update: 3.A.0129.20210805 to this new topic here.
Please bear with me, I tried to be as sensible as I can about what to move and what to leave as well as how to keep some context on both sides. So sorry to every post feeling like it doesn’t belong.

I’m not entirely content with the title yet, so feel free to edit it or to suggest something.

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Update Aug 0129 Ambient light | Adaptive brightness

Context, which I let stand in the other topic for Fairphone to perhaps see and factor in:

Never rely too much on electronics such as GPS navigation…

3 Likes

The real risk is to tend to the screen so much while driving. If you can’t figure things out there instantly, then look at the [expletive] road! There are signs.
And what if you miss a lane? It happens. You’ll survive. Which cannot be said for every accident imaginable with drivers not paying attention to the road.

Edit: Just to be clear … I wasn’t there, I’m not criticising what you personally did or didn’t do, I’m just giving a different general risk assessment for a screen demanding attention.

4 Likes

Thank you for the comment, but it was not very helpful for me.

Yes, there is audio output of the navigation app, and there are also traffic signs, but in my case both did not help (there are 2 turn-right-lanes but I took the wrong one, because I could not see anything on the screen).
But this was not the intention of my posting.

When you enter a tunnel, then the navigation app automatically switches to a dark mode. And when the brightness is reduced to zero on the dark mode, then you can not see anything on the screen.

This could be dangerous, because some people might try to pull down the notification area and to increase the brightness.
They lose focus of the road, and this can cause accidents.

So I wanted to point out that this bug should be fixed, because it could be dangerous.

1 Like

I get your concern and frustration but also the challenging comments about using and relying on the phone.

The danger is not in the phone. although using at you suggest could be dangerous, but don’t hold out for a quick fix. If the phone doesn’t adapt you will have to no doubt :slight_smile:

Even if there was an aggressive wasp in the car, the driver must not panic/lose focus on driving and handle the situation professionally… (Sorry for off-topic, but as a driver it has been important to me to clarify.)

Although you’re having interesting and valid discussions, it’s not quite the right place here. Please try to avoid off-topics discussions, or open another topic if you really wish to continue them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Acknowledged, but I guess this is valid for moderators, too. And I already apologized for being off-topic, so no need to alert me on it…

Blaming a user while there is clearly a problem with how the phone behaves in low light? Really?

2 Likes

Posting before reading? Really?

1 Like

I read the whole thing. Someone is pointing out a situation where this bug created a dangerous situation. In normal operation this wouldn’t have happened. Of course someone needs to pay attention to the road, that’s obvious. And that’s probably not an issue at all if the phone works without unintended distractions like these. I really hope that the Fairphone community doesn’t have fan boy/girl syndrome, where obvious issues like these are deflected.

3 Likes

No.
Someone was pointing out it could be imagined that this could create a dangerous situation … with the dangerous situation being that the driver actively handles the phone while driving … which a driver shouldn’t do under any circumstance, and which a driver will be punished for if caught doing it in many countries for a reason.

As a driver, you are responsible, not your smartphone. I’m certain police, rescue forces, insurance companies etc. nowadays have heard everything about “But my smartphone …” and are not impressed.

I’m very much in favour of fixing the issue as quickly as possible, as any other issue, preferrably it shouldn’t have been in a released update in the first place.

I really hope that the community using smartphones in cars while driving doesn’t have fan boy/girl syndrome, where obvious traffic safety issues brought up in theory here are deflected.

2 Likes

off-topic due to importance of matter

So you agree to rule no. 1: It is obvious that drivers focus on driving. When the phone does not work like it should, rule no. 1 is still valid. The phone is just giving information, e.g. like a RPM meter, but you do not necessarily need it to drive. As soon as you recognize that it does not work, just keep concentrating on your driving…

1 Like

@AnotherElk the user doesn’t say those things at all. There is no mention if the user had a handsfree set or not. If the driver was using it without such a set, then yes, it’s wrong. But if not, then the phone is really at fault here and didn’t create the distraction free experience while driving (as any other phone would do by not lower the brightness to basically 0%).

Anyway. This is not really the discussion of course. I hope Fairphone will fix this issue soon. Otherwise I might not risk buying the Fairphone 4 when it comes out. A phone should always work and make life easy, not difficult :slight_smile:

As a driver you are responsible for creating a distraction free experience while driving, not any gadget you have in the car. If you can’t deal with your phone in a responsible manner, then turn it off.
For traffic safety’s sake I sincerely hope you don’t have a driving license.

Agreed, that would be desirable and enjoyable.

1 Like