UNU releases The Global E-waste Monitor 2014

Hi I thought this would be interesting for you:

Global E-Waste Volume Hits New Peak in 2014: UNU Report (no direct download)

Small IT (including smart phones) makes about 7% of the E-Waste generated last year. The biggest part (about 59%) comes from home equipment like washing machines, microwave ovens, etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

3 Likes

Did they calculate this in weight or number of products? Because it seems logic “white goods” will always be the major part of e-waste by weight.

This was also a problem in the previous European WEEE-directive: it put targets for collecting e-waste by weight. This had for result all countries started collecting white goods, while small equipment was not really a priority in many countries: these products did not weigh enough to be “worth” collecting if they wanted to reach the EU targets…

1 Like

I think that 7% is not a small number, whichever way the weight of products is included in that calculation or not.

Sadly it’s weight… :frowning: From 41.8 mio. tons of e-waste generated, 3 mio. tons are small IT.

BTW I found your explanation of the WEEE directive very interesting!

3 tons… that’s a lot of small IT equipment :disappointed:
And knowing a lot of people do not turn in their broken products correctly, (or at all), this will probably be an underestimation…

The world of WEEE is my job, writing and negotiating legislation is sometimes very fascinating!

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t check what I wrote: Actually it is 3 mio. tons. I corrected my post above.

Hello,

here you can find a german Radio broadcast of this Topic.

regards,
Shiny

1 Like