Unsatisfied with FP3

Your older phone worked perfectly but my FP3 also works perfectly with my car when using Android Auto (Subaru Impreza).

The versions of Android and Android Auto could matter. Is your S6 with the same versions of this software as your FP3 ?

Even if the guaranty was over you would have the right to ask the support for help but then it could have a cost…

Can confirm with most of these issues.

I am very much not happy with the overall performance. Reception is bad, wifi takes forever to connect, I am hard to hear for others. And on top of all that my bottom module is broken which makes it a very frustrating process to charge the phone. (And of course they’ve been out of stock for a while now.)

I actually started to use my old, worn down Samsung-with-broken-screen more and more, since that one somehow still works better.

Sad, because I really love the whole Fairphone concept.

Latest update for Android Auto is from July the 8th.
I just checked on my S6 and last update there is August the 6th.

At the moment they are different versions.
On FairPhone it says “Last Updated Jul 8, 2021”.
On S6 it says “Last Updated Aug 6, 2021”.

Yes! That is exactly what makes it sad.

How do you asses the bottom module is broken, it could just be either debris in the port or plug or loose module, have you tried taking it apart and reassembling it.
The phone is still under warranty unless you’ve been for a swim with it etc.

The date you get the updates doesn’t tell you how uptodate the update is.
Fairphone’s came out on 28th May as a June 5th update before many others.

Software Version: 3.A.0107.20210513
Security Patch Level: 5th of June, 2021

but there are 3 newer Security patches awaiting :frowning:

I am unsure to understand. Your FP3 uses Android 10 and you are saying your Samsung Galaxy S6 too. I didn’t know Samsung upgraded its phones on a so long period…

1 Like

Hello Onez,

I definitely know what you mean. Don’t get me wrong ,the phone is fast enough for a daily drive and works over all as it should, but the little things make it annoying.

For your troubles with Android Auto, my suggestion is simple. For me it was the cable. I bought a high quality and short USB3 type A to USB C and I get phone disconnects all the time. No issues with the FP one. I cannot imagine what the deal is with the cables, but any should work to be honest.

My top annoying things to add to the list:

1. Fingerprint sensor for sure! You need to unlock the phone so often during the day, and when your nor able to is just annoying. Especially if you have not a bad PW like “1234”.

I miss face unlock from android 9 which disappeared with the update to android 10.

1. Camera is important! The need to download and try various apks to find one that is actually useful is just bad!

2. More and better Bluetooth codecs. I have good headphones and pay for lossless TIDL. Cannot imagine how much better the sound would be.

3. Hardware upgrades that improve the device. If not the idea of changing parts is obsolete. (New camera modules).

Hopefully the cable swap works for you.

1 Like

Hi Milchmann,

Thanks for the info.

I actually did try at least 4 different (expensive) cables. Unfortunately that didn’t solve the problem.

When I open Play Store and go to Android Auto, it is updated on both phones.
On FairPhone Android Auto version is 6.6.612534
On S6 Android Auto version is 6.7.612934

No idea why it’s newer on the S6.

FP3

S6

Maybe it has to do with the Android version itself!? Which version does your S6 have?

Maybe try the FP one in their store? Just an idea.

Okay, another edit: you can also try to download the latest version manually as an apk from a trusted webpage. I needed to do this as Android auto is not available in Sweden. But I am very sure that this will not fix your issue.

As far as I understand, with A10 you do not need the app its integrated

Or read through the help articles which refer to this app for A10

https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/9468382?hl=de&ref_topic=6347951

Thanks all for the help. I will go through the articles.
For me the most annoying issue is #2. I have contacted support about it. Hope they can give a solution. Otherwise I will put the phone in a drawer and buy a used one or buy a new battery for the old S6. Which I feel defeats the purpose of FP.

The main purpose of the Fairphone is the fair employment not the longevity of the phone, although that is touted as a sense of ‘caring’ for the environment

That is what I meant. By buying another phone or a battery I support the unfair employment.

2 Likes

Is that from an official statement of Fairphone?

No I am not a Fairphone employee, my comments are purely mine. I would tend to quote and put a reference to is i were using someone else’s statements.

Although Fairphone do tout the modular aspects as benign to the user and through that to the environment in general this does not reduce the overall consumer usage that I can measure, especially given the poor experiences people have spoken of on this forum. For example I note people have had to change the bottom module of the FP2 a number of times ~ need I refer?

Whereas the is a clear and present change the way the miners and manufacturers are treated ~ this is the Fair bit that I am investing in, not the phone.

There is no doubt fair is not fair enough, but it does highlight the inequalities amongst people, having a modular phone does little to relieve the major inequalities.

So it could just be a modular spade with a removal shaft made of wood, but who cut the tree and how were they paid, so I make my own, but not the phone.

Further

We exist to give a voice to everyone who cares how their products are made.

A fairer phone

With every phone we make, we’re getting closer to a fairer and more sustainable electronics industry.

From responsible material sourcing to advocating for workers’ welfare, we share all our results freely and set new standards for the entire industry.

From the same article:

By creating a more sustainable smartphone, we’re demonstrating the endless possibilities for a fairer future – for everyone.

We care about designing longer-lasting products that are easier to repair.

Sorry, can’t agree with your statement, Fairness and Sustainibility are both key goals of Fairphone.

Why not? Phones that are kept for 5 years reduce consumption by not changing every 2 years, and the most environmental impact is the core-module (75% of the impact of the phone).

This forum is not representative. Yes, there are bad experiences, but you can’t get any data out of it.
The bottom module is a known design fault of the FP2, which doesn’t seem to exist in the FP3.

3 Likes