Unremovable carrier app App Center

Hum, thank you for this solution for rooted OS @hirnsushi !
On my side, I have decided at this time to don’t root my phone.

And, at this time, it’s not possbile to remove/block this bloatware on FP4
I’m not on orange (Belgium), I use at this time new operator(Neibo) which at this time MVNO of orange and on the future, will be independent…

I will search if on dns side, it’s not possible !

edit : for block any future install apps via app center by orange : block on dns dl.apps.orange.com (personally : *.orange.com & *.orange.be & *.orange.fr blocked on my dns server)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I recently moved to France and when signing my Orange contract discovered they had a great deal for a Fairphone 4.

I purchased the phone and was mostly delighted. However, it came packed with horrible bloatware: it dynamically installs new apps on the phone on reboot. Sometimes I can delete them, but usually they reappear on reboot because the core bloatware ‘app center’ is hidden so that I cannot remove it by normal means.

Needless to say, this feels very intrusive, disturbing and… Unfair.

Is there any way I can remove this bloatware without voiding my extended warranty?

I reopened this topic and moved your post here, maybe you will find some answeres already above

3 Likes

You can use the Developer Options to access USB debugging.

Then using the Android Development Bridge (adb) by installing on a pc you can uninstall many app packages.

The above does not void the warranty but if you delete an essential package you will have all sorts of problems. So ensure you have searched the internet for any packages (apps) you want to uninstall.

For detail on how I implemented such using a Raspberry Pi see

From @Aaanze’s description …

… it doesn’t look like adb is enough to get rid of it.

Maybe things have changed, but if they haven’t, the only other options are using Magisk or installing a custom ROM.

1 Like

I had the same experience when trying adb this morning.

Since the problem with rooting is an unknown ROM, is it possible for me to repair the issue without voiding the warranty by reinstalling my system using a stock Fairphone ROM?

Yes that’s Fairphone’s statement, somewhere. Once the FOS has been reinstalled that issue with the warranty is sorted.

Unfortunately the worst part in this, is the Orange App Center WILL INSTALL even if you use the stock FPOS provided by fairphone.

It seems like somehow the activation of this bloatware for Orange France user is somehow integrated in the default FPOS.

Last time I switched back from LOS to FPOS using official images (in August) the bloatware installed itselft right at first boot.

There really isn’t any other way than to root the device to get rid of those things.
Real dirty move from Orange, but I’m not surprised as bloating devices with crap is a second nature to this company.
I still get seizures remembering Galaxy S (first of name) Orange customized Touchwizz… Fully orange themed, laggy as hell and of course not modifiable…

So it seems they hooked their bloatware into the bootloader. Does anybody know if there is a way to flash the stock fairphone bootloader onto a FP4 without voiding the extended warranty?

It’s not hooked into the bootloader, the app gets shipped with stock FPOS and if you start using Orange it get’s activated.
There is similar functionality for Telekom and it could be used for other carriers Fairphone is partnering with (haven’t looked in a while).

If you want to get rid of it, you either have to root your phone, or have a look at the #oslist for alternative ROMs that won’t ship with that kind of bloatware.

3 Likes

Exactly.

This behaviour is actually described on the official FP3 documentation:

There is litteraly no other way than to root the device to get FPOS without the crapware.

2 Likes

Okay, quite horrible and unfair behavior.

Putting that aside - let’s say I do root the device and use an alternative OS. My warranty is the void? If I encounter some hardware issue, would reinstalling FPOS reinstate my warranty?

yes thats the general statement so far. Support would not help you (at all), as long as an alternative ROM is installed.

However, just remind we are all user and not speaking on behalf of Fairphone

Also see here

Edit: a general remark. To install a custom ROM you dont need to root.

2 Likes

Well it fairphone does state that it voids but european law says otherwise.

The European Free Software Fundation concluded that rooting or flashing the device could not be considered as a valid reason for voiding the guarantee as long as they do not cause irreversible damage.

The problem is said law is blurry enough so that constructor can bend it and force you to prove that rooting the device was not the cause of the defect.

So technically you should be fine provided you’re ready to fight your case with Fairphone should anything happen after you rooted your device.

1 Like

Thank you @yvmuell and @Aaanze for the informative answers.

If I flash a custom ROM without rooting, then my extended warranty would not be violated?

no its actually the same, they help you only normally when you go back to FPOS to prove the issue still exist and is not caused by custom ROM or root…

so when you have black screen and you are sure its not software related dont mention a custom ROM :wink:

Legally not.

However, if you can’t go back to stock, Fairphone can make it difficult for you. But that would not quite be legal from their part.

and just because you own a FP4: there is a bug in the FP4 which can easily brick your phone, so better dont lock the bootloader after flashing the ROM

2 Likes