UBPorts 16.04 updates + feature tests

I don’t use UT on a regular basis, so I can’t really give advice.

What do you want/need to use on your phone? I could imagine there are limitations in UT that might or might not be relevant based on your use cases.

I guess the basics are covered by now (calling, SMS, etc)
How about android apps? Is there the possibility to integrate them in an easy manner?

There is a tool called “anbox” which can be used to run Android apps.
I’d say it’s rather experimental and in alpha state. Several features are not implemented yet. I wouldn’t count on it to be a smooth experience. Rather assume that most Android apps do not work.
For more details, just scroll up a bit, I’ve included my anbox findings last time I did a rather thorough test.

1 Like

I use UT as daily driver and for me it works well. I use WhatsApp trough Anbox but video is not working. For most of the other things I found an alternative in the OpenStore.

Hello, @Ingo. To install Anbox, I followed these steps:

fastboot flash boot anbox-boot-FP2.img
sudo chmod + x /home/phablet/install_anbox.sh
./install_anbox.sh

I would like to know if I did something wrong, because although it seems that I managed to get Anbox and ADB installed, upon restarting the phone I got a bootloop and had to reinstall the system with UBports Installer. Fortunately, I did not lose information.

What did I do wrong?

What could have caused the bootloop? I suspect the IMG file, but it is rare that the system worked the first time it was started after installation.

I haven’t followed progress with UT somewhat less during the last couple of months. But I think I remember reading in one of their Telegram groups, that on the “devel” channel the FP2 no longer needs to flash the boot image.

So you might want to try just running the script and skip the fastboot step.

1 Like

Is it necessary in the stable channel? I have stable version 16.04.

I don’t know. But you can easily find out. If you install anbox and the default boot image in stable is not sufficient, there is a tool to check the status and it will tell you if the kernel is ok (“anbox-status” or something).

3 Likes

Hi,
I also had problems with Anbox installation at first (on a Nexus 5), so I followed the procedure from a video. See:

1 Like

OTA-12 is coming and we need your help! Check out our Call for Testing:
https://ubports.com/blog/ubports-blog-1/post/call-for-testing-ubuntu-touch-ota-12-273

You’re helping to make Ubuntu Touch awesome.

#OTA12 #UBports #UbuntuTouch ubuntu

Highlights of OTA-12 include:

Move from Mir 0.24 (of 2015 vintage) to Mir 1.2 (of May 2019 vintage :sweat_smile:)
Return Lomiri (the code still says unity8) to version 8.15+17.04.20170404.7-0ubuntu2, one of the last released by Canonical, and build up from it. This introduced a number of new interaction models, including the Application Drawer.
Remove scopes. The Dash has been removed from this version of Lomiri, taking the old “home screen” and scopes with it.

Everyone, allow us to introduce you to Ubuntu Touch OTA-12. :smiley:

It seems like everything is new with this update, including a new home screen (don’t call it a home screen), a color and style refresh that’s safe for your eyes, and small tweaks to make your phone experience more thoughtful. Not to mention the herculean efforts under the hood. You can download OTA-12 right now on your Ubuntu Touch device. Or if you’re running Ubuntu Touch from the devel, rc, or edge channels, you’re already rolling with us on something newer than OTA-12. Enjoy the ride!

https://ubports.com/blog/1/post/ubuntu-touch-ota-12-release-276

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA12 #Ubuntu

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

5 Likes

UBports News Channel

We are pleased to announce that
Ubuntu Touch OTA-14 is released with huge camera and usability improvements to devices which shipped with Android 9! Full details in the blog.

Ubuntu Touch OTA-14 Release | UBports

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA14 #Ubuntu

5 Likes

UBports News Channel

Ubuntu Touch OTA-15 is here with improvements to our newest and most powerful devices, redesigned tab navigation in Morph Browser, and so much more. Coming to your Ubuntu Touch device on the “Stable” channel this week!

Ubuntu Touch OTA-15 Release | UBports

2 Likes

UBports News Channel

Ubuntu Touch OTA-16 is here, supporting one new device, improving the built-in browser’s Downloads experience, and overhauling the system to upgrade Qt to v5.12. The best parts of this release are the ones you don’t notice. Coming to your Ubuntu Touch device over the next week.

Ubuntu Touch OTA-16 Release | UBports

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA16

3 Likes

I just updated to OTA-16 (V14) but I realise that quite a few apps are no more working properly or are immediately crashing. And e.g. no way to reach a cloud via owncloud. No way to change it.

Not a very good sign for this OS.

Did you updated also your apps in the OpenStore?

App crashing in OTA-16 could come from the change of web rendering engine:

However, we also removed the Oxide web rendering engine with this release.
[…]
The default web browser switched from Oxide to QtWebEngine in OTA-5, released on October 12, 2018. Since then, we’ve warned people not to use the Oxide rendering engine or Ubuntu.Web, its simpler QML component counterpart. The replacements for these are importing QtWebEngine or, even better, using the Morph.Web wrapper.

With Oxide removed, any applications which depend on it directly will cease to function. Apps which used Ubuntu.Web may still work, but will likely have unforseen problems. If you’re an app developer and you’ve got an app which depends on Oxide, we can help you make the transition to QtWebEngine. Find us at forums.ubports.com, (at)UbuntuAppDevEN on Telegram, or #ut_appdev:matrix.org on Matrix.