UBPorts 16.04 updates + feature tests

OTA-12 is coming and we need your help! Check out our Call for Testing:
https://ubports.com/blog/ubports-blog-1/post/call-for-testing-ubuntu-touch-ota-12-273

You’re helping to make Ubuntu Touch awesome.

#OTA12 #UBports #UbuntuTouch ubuntu

Highlights of OTA-12 include:

Move from Mir 0.24 (of 2015 vintage) to Mir 1.2 (of May 2019 vintage :sweat_smile:)
Return Lomiri (the code still says unity8) to version 8.15+17.04.20170404.7-0ubuntu2, one of the last released by Canonical, and build up from it. This introduced a number of new interaction models, including the Application Drawer.
Remove scopes. The Dash has been removed from this version of Lomiri, taking the old “home screen” and scopes with it.

Everyone, allow us to introduce you to Ubuntu Touch OTA-12. :smiley:

It seems like everything is new with this update, including a new home screen (don’t call it a home screen), a color and style refresh that’s safe for your eyes, and small tweaks to make your phone experience more thoughtful. Not to mention the herculean efforts under the hood. You can download OTA-12 right now on your Ubuntu Touch device. Or if you’re running Ubuntu Touch from the devel, rc, or edge channels, you’re already rolling with us on something newer than OTA-12. Enjoy the ride!

https://ubports.com/blog/1/post/ubuntu-touch-ota-12-release-276

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA12 #Ubuntu

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

5 Likes

UBports News Channel

We are pleased to announce that
Ubuntu Touch OTA-14 is released with huge camera and usability improvements to devices which shipped with Android 9! Full details in the blog.

Ubuntu Touch OTA-14 Release | UBports

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA14 #Ubuntu

5 Likes

UBports News Channel

Ubuntu Touch OTA-15 is here with improvements to our newest and most powerful devices, redesigned tab navigation in Morph Browser, and so much more. Coming to your Ubuntu Touch device on the “Stable” channel this week!

Ubuntu Touch OTA-15 Release | UBports

2 Likes

UBports News Channel

Ubuntu Touch OTA-16 is here, supporting one new device, improving the built-in browser’s Downloads experience, and overhauling the system to upgrade Qt to v5.12. The best parts of this release are the ones you don’t notice. Coming to your Ubuntu Touch device over the next week.

Ubuntu Touch OTA-16 Release | UBports

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA16

3 Likes

I just updated to OTA-16 (V14) but I realise that quite a few apps are no more working properly or are immediately crashing. And e.g. no way to reach a cloud via owncloud. No way to change it.

Not a very good sign for this OS.

Did you updated also your apps in the OpenStore?

App crashing in OTA-16 could come from the change of web rendering engine:

However, we also removed the Oxide web rendering engine with this release.
[…]
The default web browser switched from Oxide to QtWebEngine in OTA-5, released on October 12, 2018. Since then, we’ve warned people not to use the Oxide rendering engine or Ubuntu.Web, its simpler QML component counterpart. The replacements for these are importing QtWebEngine or, even better, using the Morph.Web wrapper.

With Oxide removed, any applications which depend on it directly will cease to function. Apps which used Ubuntu.Web may still work, but will likely have unforseen problems. If you’re an app developer and you’ve got an app which depends on Oxide, we can help you make the transition to QtWebEngine. Find us at forums.ubports.com, (at)UbuntuAppDevEN on Telegram, or #ut_appdev:matrix.org on Matrix.

Yes I did, I had to reinstall them all, as if I completely resetted up the phone.

E.g. the following apps are not running: Dekko2 (crashing), Ghostcloud (impossible to define a cloud-account, although already defined in the settings), Xing (crashing), Pubmed (crashing), and more (I don’t remember them all as I deleted them).

I guess I will stick to e.OS, it is more reliable.

By the way: the forum of ubports is - comparing to this one - a complete mess…

Ubuntu Touch OTA-17 is released with support for NFC, camera fixes for many devices, and much more!

#UbuntuTouch #UBports #OTA17

1 Like

Fine, thanks. Update worked well. But since OTA-16 some apps don’t work any more, e.g. GhostCloud is unable to recognise a defined owncloud account, although being newly reinstalled. And as it is the only app availble for ownCloud (not = NextCloud) this is very annoying.

The Email client Dekko2 on the other hand is always crashing…

We are pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu Touch OTA-18. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UbuntuTouch #Ubports #OTA18 #Ubuntu

3 Likes

Hmmm, Ghostcloud for example is still not running properly, no way to define an account to it.

Did you try contacting Ghostcloud maintainer (Alfred); or submit a bug on github?

EDIT: seems it’s this bug #57 (solved on March 2021?)…

Yes, one should probabably contact the maintainer, but I’m using UBsync now.

We are pleased to announce the roll out of Ubuntu Touch OTA-19 has begun. Full details can be found in the accompanying blog post:

#UBports #UbuntuTouch #OTA19 #Mobilelinux #Opensource #Lomiri

2 Likes