TWRP FP3+ not decrypting /data

How it came to this situation

I recently ran into some trouble with an sd card formatted as internal storage and lost a lot of Pictures this way. I created a dump of the encrypted sd-card and want to get the encryption key for it. According to android stackexchange com question 145443 (i know for an older Android release) the key is in /data/misc/vold. But the /data/misc folder is not accessible on a non rooted device. So it looked like there is no way. But I managed to unlock the boot loader without wiping the data (forum xda-developers com post 4053743) and was able to boot twrp (twrp-3.6.0_9-0-FP3.img). I can now see data in /data/misc/ but it is encrypted with file based encryption. So I need to decrypt this before I can get to work on the sd-card image.

I try to access some data in /data/misc using TWRP on my FP3+ with an unlocked bootloader ( See details above).
Sadly TWRP is unable to decrypt the file based encryption and it also does not work with twrp decrypt 12345 (placeholder pattern pw from twrp openrecoveryscript faq).
According to topic 56995 in this forum the TWRP is able to decrypt on FP3, but this information may come from the Android 9 days and the FP3+ was shipped with Android 10. Does anyone know how to get TWRP to decrypt the /data/ partition on Android 10?

FP3:/ # twrp decrypt 12345
Attempting to decrypt data partition or user data via command line.
Failed to decrypt data
FP3:/ # ls -l /data/misc
total 336
drwxr-x--- 2 root         shell        4096 2022-05-03 20:33 ,HFAIjj5VVvOEVUf8XiZpA
drwx------ 2 system       log          4096 2021-04-20 06:44 07Vqd7L5z+hscAB6UBfcVC
drwxrwxr-- 2 system       system       4096 1970-01-01 00:09 1uV8mtqoj5cVdX,ml2clnqP7exJ
[...]

I only have one user on my phone (so no work account or similar).

I am not allowed to post more than 2 links since I am a new member to the forum.

Did you try the password in the initial TWRP password prompt, too, or only in the TWRP commandline?

Since decryption in TWRP works fine for me with Android 10 and a PIN , and since I have linked to that pattern → password reference in the past, too, let’s ask …

@k4y0z: Can you confirm that this pattern → password conversion given in TWRP Commandline Guide is implemented and should work in TWRP for the Fairphone 3/3+?

Strangely there was no prompting when starting TWRP. Could this be due to I have not installed twrp to the device but only sideloaded it?

I don’t think so, I don’t see why it should behave differently.
(Assuming you mean you booted TWRP, sideloading refers to installing something with ADB sideload.)

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I used fastboot like this: fastboot boot twrp-3.6.0_9-0-FP3.img

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.