Two fingers to power it off, really?

I cannot believe I am the only person who finds it incredibly annoying that it takes two fingers to turn a FP5 off! I’ve looked everywhere to find someone else moaning about how they either get Google asking to help them, or they turn the volume up, when all they want to do is turn the thing off and go to bed knowing it’s not going to wake the dog up when you leave it downstairs overnight by making funny noises. (WITH THAT VOLUME TURNED ALL THE WAY UP FOR NO GOOD REASON!)

What about people with disability issues?

The first time I did it it turned some Google assistant microphone guy I really didn’t want around on. At least he recorded my swearing with admirable fidelity.

1 Like
5 Likes

You don’t need to use the power button to power off, and you can do it with one finger.

Swipe from top to open Quick Settings, then swipe down again1 to extend the panel. The power menu is accessible by an icon at bottom right of the screen.

1 You can obtain the fully extended panel with one swipe, but using two fingers.

6 Likes

You can choose in the settings between switching off or starting Google Assistant via the power button.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

Check out bedtime mode for that. Or a do not disturb schedule. Modern problems, modern solutions.

3 Likes

I have looked all through settings and have managed to completely not find this facility!

As mentioned already in the first reply :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. I was being a little facetious perhaps! I realise lots of people never turn their phones off at all, and that is fair enough.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this reply!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply I missed it when I first saw email responses as it was nested under the first one.

1 Like

Oh thank you so much. I too have struggled with this being disabled and googled endlessly trying to find a solution, everything’s so easy once you know. Problem solved, no more dropping phone

2 Likes

I’m so glad I’m not alone! It’s only easy when you know how to do it.

1 Like

It isn’t a FairPhone 5 problem either. When my fp4 got the Android 13 update, I couldn’t turn it off either.
Going through a lot of setting options, I finally tracked the (new?) option to choose whether the power button would work as expected (long press, show turn-off options) or do something quite unexpected (I always deactivated Google’s assistant ASAP) and start turning my phone int James Bond style spy-hardware.

It was new, and highly surprising, behaviour introduced without a warning by merely accepting the almost forced A13 upgrade.

Thank you, Google. But not really ‘hey’

1 Like

Very interesting, same problem for me. When I want to switch off I am bugged with Assist messages instead of powering off. Where is this option hidden to reset the power button to the original definition?

1 Like

In FP5 Settings / System / Gestures hopefully same for FP4!

2 Likes

Found it, it also works on FP4.

Thanks for your fast reply.

1 Like

I am sure it has been mentioned before, but here we go:
It’s simple, Less complicated than my trial and error quest.

System
→ gestures
→ hold on/off button
→ choose on/off menu ( instead of digital assistant, which was set by the A13 update)

When I do as you said:
There is no “Quick Settings”. I get Internet, Bluetooth, “Do not Disturb” & Wallet and then in a white window: “Upcoming alarm” + “Manage” & “Clear All”.

That is the quick settings menu and power off is at the bottom right

4 Likes