Transparent slim back cover via Kickstarter?

I think a lot of the Fairphoners are badly missing the transparent cover. I also heard that there are neather official plans to produce one nor give the 3D-CAD-Files in the near future to print one by our own.

So what can we do to change this, what possibilities do we have? I think a lot of people would buy an official transparent cover, and I know it’s expensive to manufacture a professionell cover.
So what about a kickstarter project just for the transparent cover?
Just to see if there are enough buyers for it? But I think it has to iniated by Fairphone, or what’s your (the community) opinion?
@Douwe could that be a possible way or is this idea maybe to naive?

7 Likes

Is there transparent filament? I’m just wondering whether these Thingieverse covers by @ungutknut could be printed transparently.

Edit: https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/transparent-filament-or

4 Likes

Preview photos of that Thingieverse cover show it is possible, :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha, didn’t look at the photos. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I like the cover of @ungutknut, I also have a cover of @dvl (see here), but the 3D-printed Quality is yet far away from professional “Spritzguss-Verfahren” (injection molding?). I also read about smoothing the 3D-prints by acetone.

So I was wondering if it is possible for Fairphone to produce a professional transparent back cover, initiated via Kickstarter to keep the risk low and to see if there is a need/demand?

Having a transparent back cover again would be great!
Personally I would appreciate even more a return of blue translucent back covers.
Wanted to mention this once more just in case I might not have made myself clear enough before (like here, here or here :wink:).

2 Likes

Dont know how this materials durability is but its is almost transparent https://i.materialise.com/3d-printing-materials/transparent-resin

2 Likes

I like that material! Looks great! So how do we get the 3D-CAD-Files of the back cover? I don’t know if 3D-Scanning is an option, but i think it’s illegal :confused: Was there an idea to think about of publishing cover files officially?

Any opinions about a “official” Fairphone Kickstarter campaign for a transparent back cover?

:wink:

In my opinion Fairphone should focus on more important stuff, for example fair Cobalt for the batteries.

2 Likes

Yeah, and people who have tried to order a screen or a Fairphone 2 on our website, or have written us a support request in the past few days will agree we have some other things we need to focus on…

Also, our current design files are meant to be used with advanced molding equipment costing 10’s of thousands of dollars; it really is of no use when you plan to 3D print something yourself…

1 Like

Ok Stefan, that’s “funny”, I know all the inofficial files :expressionless: but asked for official one. Is that stupid? I don’t think so! But good to know not to count on Fairphone?
And:

??? Nice way to say “shut up, your question is stupid and we have other things to do?”. Thank you!
I just asked, and there are a lot of possibilities with a low to no action by Fairphone.

1 Like

You didn’t ask for the official files in post #8. I thought you were looking for those. I didn’t intend to upset you!

I indeed have other things to do (namely preparing an excursion to Vienna’s 10th district that I will have with my spatial planning study colleagues tomorrow). :slight_smile: I don’t work at Fairphone so I couldn’t speak in their name. In my personal opinion there are other things that contribute more to fulfilling their mission than transparent back covers.

To be honest I don’t understand why the files on Thingieverse are no option to you. Why are you insisting that Fairphone should come up with a transparent cover?

2 Likes

[quote=“Stefan, post:12, topic:33883, full:true”]
I indeed have other things to do (namely preparing an excursion to Vienna’s 10th district that I will have with my spatial planning study colleagues tomorrow). :slight_smile: I don’t work at Fairphone so I couldn’t speak in their name. In my personal opinion there are other things that contribute more to fulfilling their mission than transparent back covers.[/quote]
That’s an answer, I just asked if there are possibilities for an, don’t know, official-related transparent cover, so the answer is just simple no and that’s clear right now…

I do not insist, I just want to initiate a discussion about a way to realize one. The files on Thingieverse are great, i never said anything different, but nothing compares to official files, that’s all :wink:

So I can resume there is no official way and so we can focus on inofficial covers!

4 Likes

I’m putting this topic on a 24 hours time-out in the hope that everybody will calm down and we can continue this discussion in a friendly way.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.