Touchscreen enters/displays multiple digits

Hi, I have dropped my FP3 with no visible damage. However, when trying to logon, the screen displays multiple digits when I only press one. There may be 2, 3, 4, 5 ++ any number of digits for a single press. So can no longer logon.

I have disassembled the phone and rebuilt it several time, but still the same problem.

Any ideas?

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. I also wonder where you are located :slight_smile:

You may have to try a factory reset which will wipe all your data, but that doesn’t mean you won’t still have problems with the touch screen it’s just a way to bypass the login.

The factory reset only requires the power and volume button to work as intended.

Thankyou, have considered a Reset, but will wait until all other options have been tried. Don’t want to wipe my data.

PS.Germany

1 Like

If you happen to have fairphoneangels in your vicinity (see communitymap) with Fairphone 3/3+ expertise and perhaps parts, you could ask whether there’s a chance to check whether the display module is broken by swapping it.

Else … the module is currently in stock … Fairphone 3 Display - Replace your screen easily | Fairphone … but you could have a look whether resellers in Germany are able to ship it to you faster.

3 Likes

As I had a quite strange behaviour today on my FP3 while I tigthened the screws after changing the Camera module: maybe try without the screws just ensure the frame is clicked into place properly. Should that be better, put the screws back, don’t tighten very strong and see if or when the behaviour changes…

I started to tighten the screws and suddenly the display stayed black, although the phone was def on. So I removed all screws and restartet the phone and this time started with the opposite site of the phone to tighten the screws and checked what happens. Now all screws are back and the phone is working…

2 Likes

Thank you, I have just an email to my closest angle and hoping that they may be able to help with a test display.

Thank you, great suggestion. I am actually testing it with out replacing the screws because they only go into plastic and I don’t want t wear it out. When finished I will be careful when I put the screws back.

If you look a bit closer you will see there are brass inserts and the screws do not actually go into plastic. The more common failure is the screwdriver engagement at the top of the screw.

In the image below you can clearly see the corner screw hole is brass the other to the right I have scraped away a very thin coating of plastic which covers the metal insert.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.