Time to say goodbye after almost one year

Hi,

I donā€™t want to be rude and advertise other devices in the fairphone forum. But it is an insane difference when you can suddenly make calls without any problems and get compliments for beautiful photos. I got used to so much with the fp4, with a lot of good will. But the hardware is not everything and I am happy about the new phone. I have less space then before but also 7 5 years security updates.

3 Likes

Did you buy an Iphone?

No, thatā€™s not my taste
Itā€™s still android

There are Android devices with 7 years of security updates? Huhā€¦

No, sorry. I have said bullshit. Itā€™s minimum 5 years.

1 Like

I totally can relate to that. Two things make me salty about this: The hardware seems good but they canā€™t get the right software. It seems like there is a lot of complaining about the image quality but they donā€™t listen (apparently donā€™t even read the forum).

If the upgrade to Android 12 is not improving the picture quality Iā€™ll switch tooā€¦ the same reason, canā€™t take proper pictures of my child.

4 Likes

Thats def not correct. They listen and a few things were already improved. Apprently still not properly for all use cases, especially indoor and moving objects.

2 Likes

You can edit the other post etc.

I didnā€™t found a way to strike through the 7. Else the newer comments make no sense. Shall I still correct the 7?

1 Like

<s>wrong text</s> ā†’ wrong text

3 Likes

or

<del>7</del> <ins>5</ins>

7 5

With (del) you get a nice pink background too
:tada:

4 Likes

I must say I share the frustration of the original OP.
I am traveling with my girlfriend and we have been comparing photos from her Samsung and mine. I was unpleasantly surprised how much better Samsungā€™s photos look like, especially around how true colors are. I tried the original camera and gcam, results were more or less the same.

3 Likes

But this compares the camera apps instead of the hardware. On my Samsung the camera app makes the colors are somewhat exaggerated and the FP4 app slightly more natural (better with GCam compared with the original app.

2 Likes

I would have thought that is clearly an app issue

I have the exact same experience. Quite odd that they advertise the camera as one of the main features and then the camera is barely better than a 300ā‚¬ Samsung.

I would have thought that is clearly an app issue

Of course, that is the Samsung Camera App (I corrected my original post to make this clear)

1 Like

More color means better? I guess the hardware is pretty ok, but the software is not. BTW that is good news, because this can be corrected much easier

Well it is one of the main features, apart from being a phone :slight_smile:

The quality of the shots is definitely not comparable to Samsung and Apple or Pixel, but if you compare the financial resources of a small company to those it is not surprising.

The FP3+ uses a Samsung Bayer 48MPs chip, as do some Samsungs etc. but yes the ouptup on the Fairphone doesnā€™t compare.

As for the advertising.
a) I imagine the fairphone team donā€™t expect tto much and donā€™t compare to the others.

b) People who have moved over from the previously mentioned, ā€˜shouldā€™ not be surprised that Fairphone canā€™t do as well.

c) Yes the camera experience is scratchy compared to how I enjoyed my 0.83MPx Olympus camera (1996), and at least had a decent size lens and great software.

There is a thread where the FP4 even fails at being a phone :nerd_face:

As for their advertising, they donā€™t really shy away for praising their camera abilities. There is no star symbol with a disclaimer that says but please donā€™t compare these claims with other phones.

Itā€™s fair to say that the camera can be better. Yes, it costs money to develop a better camera. And I think they will make this investment. Because they are now under performing, even by standards of 10 years ago.

There are also open-source cameras that tent to perform better as well, such as the OpenCamera. They can open-source it too, if licenses agree with that. Then itā€™s not just them developing it anymore.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.