Tight margins in status menu bar

I recently got my new Fairphone 4, it’s absolutely great and looks stunning, a 9 out of 10 experience so far. There is one thing that is keeping me from scoring my experience a 10 out of 10 however, and that is the margin between the top left and top right icons in the status bar menu at the top of the screen. My provider info and battery indicator almost touch the edges of the screen, which feels like a design flaw, like this detail was overlooked in the design process of the Android skin. I feel like details like these can really make a device feel ‘premium’, and this takes away from my otherwise excellent experience so far. When I look on the website however, I see good margins in the status menu in all of the phone mockups. I’ve provided a screenshot to explain what I mean. So this detail was thought about in the design process but failed to make it into the final product it seems.

I’ve tried to look up online how I can manually change the margins myself, this seems to be possible with a command line ADB command (adb shell settings put secure sysui_rounded_content_padding 6). This doesn’t work on my Fairphone however, I suspect that’s because the phone does not run stock Android 11, but a custom version built by Fairphone.

So my request is: could you point me in the right direction of how to fix this issue myself? I’ve requested Fairphone to in a future software / os update, adjust the margins in the status menu bar so they more closely represent the mockups on the website.

2 Likes

it might be that it’s already set to that value by default so it doesn’t make a difference when you use that command. I’ve seen some tutorials recommend different values instead of 6, for example 8 - it probably yields different results because of different corner radiuses on different devices.

Seems not to be in iode…

I know it’s off topic, but I kept meaning to ask you: where did you end up getting the matte screen protector from?

Could this be related to https://forum.fairphone.com/t/tight-margins-in-status-menu-bar/81638

Is the recursion intentional? :smiley:

4 Likes

Brotect Matt Anti-Reflex

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09HR6ZRD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Could you please post the output of adb shell settings list secure | grep sysui_rounded, would be really interesting to see what iode does differently :thinking:

On vanilla FPOS I had sysui_rounded_size=null and sysui_rounded_content_padding wasn’t even there. Changing any of those two values doesn’t change a thing, at least not as far as I can tell…

1 Like

Nothing.
sysui_rounded does not exist

1 Like

Yep mine looks like this as well and it bugged me no end when I first got the phone but I’ve since learnt to ignore it

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.