The next steps after reaching the crowdfunding-goal? (What are your questions?)

After the crowdfunding, we will continue with sales. The people who buy after 1 October will not get a special edition (a regular edition :slight_smile: ), and their delivery will be first-come, first-served.

More news about production (photos etc) and news on how it’s going with production, ramp up, and mass production will be coming, too! I’m not sure it’s the right thread, but that begs the question:

What kind of information about Fairphone 2 production do you want to know?

@Stefan @paulakreuzer, does this belong in a separate thread?

6 Likes

I would like to know more about the outcome of the Fairphone 2 Open Source Meeting in London this weekend.

6 Likes

To me (having a FP1) the FP2 is so costly that I really need incentive to consider selling the FP1 and switching. Some will have other priorities, but my main one is getting disentangled from Google.

Which means either:
1- I want to be root, that was the case on the FP1 by default, not on the FP2.
I just can’t spend the time to wait for some open source alternate version of the OS to appear somewhere in the future: I need it to work easily, out of the box.
I need an updater which can offer this with just one extra click.

or

2- alternately, as you can expect I’d warmly welcome an alternate system to Android.
Having tried mostly everything available these last years since and including OpenMoko, I retain only two OSes that I consider ‘immediately workable’:

• BlackberryOS, which was a closed system and IMHO unlikely to appear here -no regrets,
  • and Sailfish OS, which just switched to version 2, incorporates an ‘android app sandbox’ of sorts, features developers and users reactivities similar to what happens here, and indeed welcomes external hardware, in addition to their ‘own’ phones and tablets -all the more as their current phones are now two years old designs.
    To me a Sailfish alternative would be a reason to switch, as long as it is easy to set up.
4 Likes

Word! In my opinion that’s clearly one of Fairphone’s unique selling points. It’s a major drawback for the FP2 compared to FP1.

2 Likes

First of all congrats! As many of us on the forum, I was closely following the “countup:smiley:

I would be interested in updates on how the implementation of conflict-free tungsten from Rwanda and fair trade gold in the supply chain is on its way - without putting any pressure, I am aware that is a difficult and very complex matter, especially the Au in China, and that it may take some time…

Moreover, me as well, I would like to know more about what will (likely) happen concerning alternative OS on FP2 and what came out of the meeting in London.

4 Likes

Thanks for asking @anon90052001

I’m with @merci

Something similar was also posted by @fp1_wo_sw_updates in this thread, so quoted it here.

1 Like

I would like to know,

1. if there are plans to make the rather weak battery of the FP2 stronger?
  2. if FP is actively busy to offer an alternative OS (f.i. Sailfish or Ubuntu)?

(I did not pre-order, because these 2 aspects are quite important to me.)

6 Likes

I have another question regarding software:
Since the FP2 will be delivered non-rooted and with GApps, it would be great if there was an official guide on how to completely get rid of GApps and to root it.
Thanks in advance.

7 Likes

…root is a must in my opinion, root on fp1 was argued with: fairness to cutomers…why not at fp2?

It is the first time I heard that FP2 will not be rooted. But anyhow I do not think it will be extremely difficult. With other devices by Samsung it is also very easy manageable.
But having root access to your phone is very important imho.
I would also be very interested about FP’s steps towards that goal.

In some other threads, it is argued that coming prerooted can put users that are not that knowledgable under a higher risk of malware attacks. I personally support that claim and prefer for users to activly decide to “enable root” on their devices. I hope there will be an easy way to do that.

7 Likes

From which you have your info about a “weak” battery? Only the capacaity is known AFAIK (2420mAh), right?

Let’s re-formulate it maybe other way round (acording to my previous post):

1.) Community is interested in the battery statistics, like loading time, speaking time, stand-by time etc., like it was also published of the FP1.
Maybe only some rough numbers from the prototypes would be nice to know, to have hopefully an argument about complains about a “weak” battery…

Other thought of mine:
2.) Why the soft-button for navigation have been prefered over the nice working capacitive hardware buttons of the FP1, (maybe just optimized for backlight)?
Now there is a huge space below the display (even without a logo).
Any remarks about this? Why not implement hardware buttons and the possibility in the FP-O2 to replace them with software-buttons for peaple who like this more?

3.) Will it be possible to change the black to the white rim afterwards, or is it itself the main frame of the FP2-body which would need a more complex changing manoeuver?
btw: my white rim of the FP1 is still absolutely white after nearly 2 years of usage…

Cheers, Robert

Soft buttons are the preferred implementation by Google since several years now. The reason for that is a better usability when rotating the screen, for example. It also takes away one part which has to be designed, build and integrated. And paid for, obviously. I guess the reasons for Fairphone are along that line.

Also soft buttons make it easier to implement alternative OSes, since other OSes probably use another key layout.

2 Likes

Also also :wink: having soft buttons means you can, by way of apps/configuration changes, alter the buttons if perhaps you want to change the order of them etc

2 Likes

But having hardware buttons does not mean you are not allowed to activate the software buttons (as a FP programmer), right?

Needing more technique for the hardware buttons is a valid point, sure (a lot more?)

I am only curios/sceptical if I will get used to the software buttons which are hanging always INSIDE my display…and blocking the space used otherwise, or did I don’t know anough about the implementation of this (never had one in my hands)?

But why would you want two lines of buttons (software buttons above the hardware buttons)?

You will gt used to it. The same as I got used to FP1’s “hardware buttons” after the real Nokia-hard-buttons on my C5-00.

1 Like

So are there any new Pictures off the ramp up Phase of production?

1 Like

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed response. I was on holiday last week so you may have heard a little less from me lately. I’m gathering all your questions for feedback in our upcoming blog(s), but here are some quick responses.

Kees presented what he calls the software supply chain, showing the different actors involved in gaining control of our supply chain and having more influence for our goals of 1) a long-lasting phone 2) one that is accessible to users. There were members from the developer community present, including Jolla, maybe they can come forward and give more info on their impressions?

We might have some video footage of the presentation to share but need to check on that. As for firm outcomes, we don’t have any announcements of an alternative OS if it’s what you were hoping for. There should be an estimated timeline for when we’re publishing the tools for developers to get involved, but I need to check with the software team who are busy coding and shouldn’t be disturbed right now.

The point of the workshop was to introduce our approach and connect with developers/community members who shared our mission.

We are preparing a blog and video about our work in China regarding Fair Trade gold coming out this month. As for an update on conflict-free tungsten, I’ll check with our value chain team.

We don’t have any more news about alternative OSs at the moment. There are a lot of logistics and support involving this as you can imagine, and we want to have that ready before making any announcements.

See below, don’t know where you get ‘weak battery’ from. See above for response about alternative OS.

Yes, good one. No news on that yet but you can imagine there is quite some support we want to get right.

Battery statistics - I hear you. We cannot get into battery stats until we have the final phone with final software. We are preparing a blog to give more insight into this process so it’s transparent what stage we’re at (keep in mind, our latest newsletter to owners said that delivery is expected to begin the latter half of November).

As mentioned in the forum, giving a battery reading of a prototype, even if it’s an estimate, is problematic. Journalists and potential owners could see it as a fact when it is not. Same idea with giving an estimated SAR rating.

We’re working on a production update blog. More to come!

11 Likes

Thanks @joe!
I hope you enjoyed the holidays :smile:
As of today, when do plan to have stock in The Netherlands? :smile:
Thank you.
Fred