The New Fairbuds: Nine things you need to know

Oh OK, they are all black :relieved:

How long does it usually take until a new batch is available?

Ordering now…

4 Likes

Excellent and thx, as expected from a transparent company and devs. I’m very surprised that we got a answer while other brands don’t disclose the choice of codecs, I’m looking at Google, the Qualcomm gang, HWA, Samsung and Sony.

4 Likes

Is it known whether the Fairbuds meet Australian regulatory requirements for replaceable coin cell batteries?

This is wonderful news! But I can’t help but notice the uncertain wording. Assuming you guys will not put development time into new codecs in the future, is there a way for you guys to give out tools to the community to do it themselves?

My spouse and me love strolling around hearing music. During the last few years we used two pairs of cabled plugs with a Y-cable on an her FP3, since my FP4 does not have an audio jack anymore. But the FP3 is dying on SW problems and the cables are a constant burden, especially in busses, trams and trains. Thus, we would like to switch to Fairbuds, but it seems they do not support Auracast for both playing the same music.

1 Like

Oh yes, several listeners conected to the same source is definitely a demandable feature!

2 Likes

creating a new codec is hard as it is, they picked AAC because thats what Apple optimized for. SBC is sub optimal like the name but Fairphone should max out the output for SBC HD/XQ/HQ as its possible to do. Most codecs are based on it.

Possible codec is Opus and LC3 as the decoder should cost money.

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: App does not see battery/firmware status of Fairbuds [Android]

Fairbuds (small & XL) are now 20 % off at the official store. It’s a Mother’s Day promotion that’s valid until May 12th. Don’t worry if the full price is shown at first. It will magically get cheaper several steps into the ordering process before you pay.

1 Like

This doesn’t work out of the box for me. I tried both as a guest customer as well as with my Fairphone Shop login, and it’s the full price each time. I have followed the checkout process almost completely until the end, only stopped short of “Paying”. – Are you perhaps entering the shop through a link from a promotion email?

2 Likes

I also have not landed on the reducted price when using the general website. Furthermore there is nothing in the legal paperwork on that, Fairphone Promotions and Offers - Fairphone.

With just three more days of the campaign, I feel/fear it has not been properly executed.

Oh, bummer. You’re right. You seem to need these links:

Fairbuds

Fairbuds XL

They might only work in Germany. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you I got the newsletter myself. Just didn’t get the vibe that the promotion was exclusive to the newsletter recipients that is why I feel it’s poorly executed and/or communicated. But anyway it’s a nice offer

Exactly. That’s why I didn’t even thought of posting the links as it seemed like an offer for everyone (just like the second battery).

1 Like

I clicked the link in the promo email, and I successfully ordered it (to Hungary) at a discounted price. I guess I will now be a proud owner of a black XL OwO

3 Likes

Anyone managed to order the buds with a discount without subscribing to the newsletter?

Just in case any /e/OS users here are interested, very few observations by me on Fairbuds on /e/OS:

2 Likes

Question, what SoC does the Fairbuds use. I could only find BE brand on SIG database.

Because I only found this:

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/209168

Its either the BES200-ish to 2700ish DSP. Looks like Fairphone is using the same BES chip as Pine64 that has open source in mind.