The Internet of Things (IoT): Pros & Cons

Continuing the discussion from Are the latest versions of Android really imporant for Fairphone(s)?:

For me it is: The less connected a device is, the less can break (the longer I can use it). (That’s why I like chairs and tables… ;P)

What is your opinion about the IoT? Do you already set your heating with your FP? Would you like to have your toilet check your health? Or do see better ways to waste your money? :wink:

Prepare for replying…GO!

Stefan

1 Like

EHEH I do agree 100% :slight_smile:
Well I don’t think IoT is evil per se, but as everything it depends on the uses you do of it.
As a 9 year old young man which always said “I want to be a programmer!” (now I’m 42…) my interests in technology are always on top but if I think at my (and my family) privacy it’s a big no-no.
I would like a bit more technology at home but for useful things: imagine you want to prepare a cake and forgot to buy the sugar, if only your desk told you there wasn’t sugar at home…but I think at something “local” at home not something that connects to the Internet and grabs the cake recipe on a site “for free” but sending your fridge, oven, smartphone and desk IDs or your email or your street address! And for sure I don’t want static IP addresses for the fridge or cooking area to let anyone power them off or on only for a bug or security issue!
I have not much spare time, but if I had for sure I’d like to build something like this in hardware (there is plenty of tutorials) and as an experienced software engineer and system integrator for sure I would have no problems with software, but looking at the “costs” to realize this (in terms of effort in development time) I think all this will remain in my dreams…(little OT: I was very happy to know Fairphone needed developers and project managers for their software team but unfortunately I don’t live in Netherlands :pensive: )
Bye! :smile:

1 Like

I sure do. A bottle of malt whisky comes to mind :smile:

My main objection is that I don’t trust programmers and software designers (sorry, @DjDas ) to know and prioritise my needs and wishes better than me. Which also is why I can’t see any point at all in the ‘convenient improvements’ offered in Android 4.4 and 5, for instance…

2 Likes

Sorry but this is not always (I think only about 10% cases) a matter of software designers and/or developers but mainly of marketing managers and after of software analysts :wink:
Marketing managers on top of all have the needs to sell something to everyone and this is why planned obsolescence is now the common rule to have businesses go on.
I see even in this forum people say they “need” an updated version of software just because Google decided to deliberately not to fix bugs in a version of their software which cover about 40% of installed base.
I think Fairphone did a very great thing in creating a new way-of-think about electronics and especially in smartphone market, but its strength needs to be supported by users who should take an action using correct software and not simply complaining about their “old OS”-locked-phone.
There are lots of open source browsers (Firefox for example), some of them aimed at security (Orweb for example) so I don’t think this is a blocking problem.
And on top of all history tells us not every software upgrade means more safe software, often is the exactly contrary… but a little fix doesn’t sell as much as a new shiny version :wink:

3 Likes

Being an enterprise mobile app developer, I have been fascinated by the internet of things. The Internet of Things is an evolutionary outcome of the trend towards ubiquitous computing and combines many trends right from cloud computing to mobile apps. The idea that we would have a top level control over all integrated things and won’t have to control each and everything separately seems appealing to me.

My current fridge works very well without internet connection thankyouverymuch

2 Likes

The IoT makes a lot of things easier. Yet, one should not use more technology than they can abstain from.