The fair roots of our phones: Linux turns 25 today!

10 Likes

Linux is sexy:
who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep

2 Likes

The message is hot like this hot summer day in august. Although I am responsible for Linux server by profession, I took first time to read complete wikipedia article. It even became article of the day in DE.

And Linux is terrific or even terrifying: it knows zombies and may lead into panic. But the best is, it has a sticky bit.

1 Like

I even heard that Eurocontrol Langen uses a lot of Linux for their ATC. On the other side we have Windows for Submarines on the UKs nuclear toys (no joke!). I hope we never have to see the blue screen of death…

1 Like

Linus Torvalds on 25 August 1991:

I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.

(Source: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.minix/dlNtH7RRrGA/SwRavCzVE7gJ)

I like the “won’t be big” part. It’s funny how humble people initially talked about their project which later changed the world. :grin:

4 Likes

I read his biography from 2002, HarperCollins-NewYork CoAuthor Dave Diamond,Title: Just for fun. First chapter: Meaning of Life: Sex, War and Linux.

2 Likes

And we should not forget Richard Stallman, founder of the Free Software Foundation and the idea of “Copyleft”. Without him lots of code that was published for free would now sit locked away in the safes of corporations sharing the fate of many useful inventions.

3 Likes