The At a Glance widget shows only date and is randomly replaced by the Google search bar

I do indeed.
(Sorry, Dell keyboard… Really awful rebound typing, inacceptable for a laptop this price level. Usually I seee it and fix it (<- see?) :frowning_face:)

To get bacck (!) on topic, for me the phone boots with the “At a Glance” widget, whicch (!) gets eventually (midnight?) replaced by the searchh (!) one, but that one stays put hereafter.

(Don’t buy Alienware! It’s :poop:!)

Does it work though? Do you see calendar events, weather etc.? Does clicking on the date open the calendar app?

All I can see is date and clicking on it does absolutely nothing. Meanwhile when I manually add the At a Glance widget to a different screen, it works as intended.

1 Like

OK now I’m a bit more interested.

This widget is not a default on my Beta A13 on my FP3, I mean it doesn’t exist.

Could be
a) I use Nova, but why would that remove it from available widgets?
b) I did adb some stuff out when I got the phone in 2020 ??

The widget that you can place by yourself is provided by the Google app. Maybe that’s the problem?

1 Like

Nope. On my phone it just shows the (correct) date, that’s it. At some stage in a previous version I disabled the weather (preferring a weather app I use). From what I’ve read, you’re supposed to be able to long-press AAG and select “Customize”, but I don’t see that option, just “Home settings”, “Widgets” and “Wallpapers”. But I prefer that bit of home screen to at least display info that’s not useless to me or duplicated elsewhere …

@KurtF Interesting! Your experience is the exact reverse of mine! I think those two square cm of home screen estate must be cursed…

It has always only shown that (date, time) for me, even back in A11.
Long press on whatever occupies currently the spot does bring up the “At a Glance” menu for me, even if the search bar is currently showing.

It seems… But I rather think this “At no Glance” widget is, and has always been broken.
Initially (A11) I hoped it would show my upcoming calendar entries – never happened. Weather? No way. Well, it does show the date, in case I go Rip Van Winkle (but in this case it would lack the year…). :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi

On my home screen I have the Google search bar, but occasionally I don’t for a few days at time. It just gets replaced with the date time and then it’ll just reappear. Couldn’t see a way to change this behaviour.

Welcome! Yes, it’s hopelessly broken, and there is nothing to be done since those are both widgets put there (one on top of the other!) by our parents and we can’t do anything about them…
On my phone since the last reboot I just see the search bar stating “Initializing”, forever… :roll_eyes:

Please read the earlier posts in this topic, the problem is covered … but no solution in sight, as Kurt says.

You’ll notice that the search bar gets replaced by At a glance, at midnight following the latest boot. On some phones, anyway. That’s probably useful for any dev working on the problem, but for you it just means that, if you prefer to see the date and not the search bar (my case), try not turning off your phone at night, put it on Airplane mode instead. You can get rid of the search bar completely by disabling the Google app. That might have repercussions but none that have bothered me.

I guess what would be most useful would be to not place them at the exact same spot! Both widgets worked (mostly) normally back in Android 11 when they weren’t stacked.

Oh well, I don’t really care (besides my annoyance about wasted screen real estate) since I never ever used the search bar, and the “At a Glance” widget is more a (malfunctioning) gadget than a really useful feature anyway. -shrug-

Well, I’m sure the latest update promised a fix for this, but search bar has gone again. Pffft!

no it hasnt I guess you are mixing up with this

I actually got a message from support that this could be fixed in the latest update. @CircusJim may have gotten it too. That’s why I originally thought the note was related to this issue, and why I reacted the way I did:

I really hope the fix will make it into the next update.

1 Like

This one is on me @Razem. I may have counted my chickens before they hatched when it comes to At a glance.

• Widget randomly changes from one to the other - we have a fix in the pipeline for this. It was delayed so we could focus on security patches, A13 prep, fixing aptX, VoLTE settings… I can’t say when the fix will come out but it’s on the way.
  • Long-pressing the search bar shows At a glance preferences - according to our team, this is the default behavior of the search bar app provided by Google. It’s closed source so there’s nothing we can do about it.
3 Likes

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a ‘feature’ or a bug, but after upgrading to Android 12, I now have an immovable widget(?) taking up five app spaces at the top of my home screen. On some days it’s the date and on others it’s a superfluous DDG browser bar, neither of which I can delete!

You can use another launcher.

Niagara for example.

The choice is huge.

1 Like

It’s both. In A11 the (irremovable) search bar was on the bottom, and there was a widget (“At a Glance”) on top telling you the date (and sometimes weather and such). As you see in your first screenshot.
With A12, both widgets got moved to the exact same spot (!), and since they are both irremovable, they fight for the spot and you get to see the winner, or at least its corpse… :roll_eyes:

As chantoine said above, the only way to get rid of them is to use another launcher, since they are both irremovable Google widgets (even if you can change the search to something non-Google thanks to European law).
If you don’t use the search widget anyway, you can at least get rid of the bottom one in your second screenshot, only the (dead) top one is irremovable.

This is more or less resolved by the Android 13 update. The good thing is that it no longer switches between two widgets. The bad thing (in my opinion) is that instead of the At a Glance widget, the search bar was chosen to be at the top. I’m not really sure if it’s the intended behavior and it definitely feels weird. I’m marking this topic as resolved, but until we have a definitive confirmation that this is Google’s intended behavior and not Fairphone’s design choice, I’ll mark it just as a workaround in the list of issues.

1 Like

I’m rather confused by that statement. I have updated to Android 13 and can only see the date at the top of the home screen now. I consistently had a DDG search bar on Android 12 (without any fights for the top slot), which would be my preferred behaviour. Note that the Google App is not active.

Maybe we should swap Phones. :grin:

Updating to 13 did not solve the problem. everything remains as it was at 12. that’s a fact!